Best Vid Card around $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryejay98

I currently have a Celeron 1200 with the Intel 815e video chipset and want to purchase a new graphics card. However, I've only got approximately $100 or so in my budget and wanted to know what would be a good card to get? I want a noticeable improvement over the onboard graphics, but it doesn't have to be kick *** either.

Have both an AGP and a PCI slot up for grabs.

I should also mention I'd like to be Linux compatible ;p

Originally posted by TS | Crazyace
NOT THE MX! NOOOOOOOOOOOO

You would be far better with the Geforce 3 ti200

Geforce4 MX cards are a joke.

:haha:
I think thats what Uncleel says too. He is just presenting all the facts (that the geforce4MX cards are around the same price level).

however the fps is pretty fast, but as stated the lack of DirectX-8 support will be their undoing.

Yeah the GF3Ti200 is the best price/performance ratio card on the market at the minute. Radeon 8500s and GF4s are better but at a price. GF4MXs are really shoddy considering they are a "new" card.

Thanks for all the advice ... I managed to grab a VisionTek XTASY 6564 AGP 64MB GeForce3 TI 200 for about $50 from Ebay (gotta love Ebay) and I'll be playing with it real soon :)

Hi,
I am also going to be purchasing a new video card within the next couple weeks, and I was wonder about which card to purchase. I know i can get that Visiontek Geforce 3 Ti200 64mb card for $79.95, but while looking else where I found a Geforce 2 Ti200 128mb card for $125.00, is it worth it to get the extra 64mb? or should I just move up and get the Ti 500 for $151.00?
I'm going to be using it for games and occasionally movies.

My System specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
384mb PC2100 DDR
Geforce 2 MX400 64mb(current video card)(AGP)
40GB Maxtor 7200rpm HDD
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer

Well the 128mb version of a card is only really useful for running in higher resolutions. Since a Geforce2 card isn't going to be all that powerful, the extra 64mb probably isn't going to be that beneficial. If your monitor supports a max of 1280 resolution it would be pretty pointless to get a card with extra memory to run higher resolutions. If your looking at spending the kind of money that could get you a 128mb card I would suggest getting the Geforce 3 Ti500 64mb card, or even waiting a little while for the release of the Geforce 4 Ti4200 card which should be around that price range. ;)

Oh ok,
but sorry, i got mixed up when i was typing, i meant a Geforce 3 Ti200 128mb not a Geforce 2(Did they even make a geforce 2 with 128mb?) but I think i'm going to buy a Ti500

Originally posted by vassil3427
Oh ok,
but sorry, i got mixed up when i was typing, i meant a Geforce 3 Ti200 128mb not a Geforce 2(Did they even make a geforce 2 with 128mb?) but I think i'm going to buy a Ti500

I haven't seen a GF2 Ti200 128mb card but I hadn't ruled out some company from having made one. If your into modding/overclocking you could get the Ti200 and overclock it towards Ti500 speeds and have the 128mb of memory too. Saying that I would probably just go down the safer path and get the Ti500 too ;)

Hi,
I am also going to be purchasing a new video card within the next couple weeks, and I was wonder about which card to purchase. I know i can get that Visiontek Geforce 3 Ti200 64mb card for $79.95, but while looking else where I found a Geforce 2 Ti200 128mb card for $125.00, is it worth it to get the extra 64mb? or should I just move up and get the Ti 500 for $151.00?
I'm going to be using it for games and occasionally movies.

My System specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
384mb PC2100 DDR
Geforce 2 MX400 64mb(current video card)(AGP)
40GB Maxtor 7200rpm HDD
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer

If you live in the USA, you should also consider the ATI R8500. They are going for about $107 at Newegg, and offer better performance than all the cards you just mentioned, along with more advanced features, and more DirectX8.1 features. It will save you some cash as well.

Yes i live in the USA, but dont ATI cards have driver problems or something? And if I do decide to go with the ATI card, which model do i get? cause I saw the 8500LE and just plain 8500

The difference between the 8500 & 8500LE is speed. The 8500 runs at 275/550 ( core / mem ) whereas the 8500LE runs at 250/500.

ATI drivers aren't the greatest but I belive they have been working hard on that matter for a little while now & it shows. With every new driver release people seem more pleased ( performance & stability wise ).

Originally posted by PreservedSwine

If you live in the USA, you should also consider the ATI R8500. They are going for about $107 at Newegg, and offer better performance than all the cards you just mentioned, along with more advanced features, and more DirectX8.1 features. It will save you some cash as well.

Well yes. Don't want to come over as a Nv***** ;)
I was just looking at cards < $100 to begin with...
When the Ti500 was mentioned we shouldn't overlook the 8500.
The 8500 gives a performance level somewhere between Geforce3 and Geforce 3 Ti500, above Ti500 in some benchmarks.

Yes i live in the USA, but dont ATI cards have driver problems or something? And if I do decide to go with the ATI card, which model do i get? cause I saw the 8500LE and just plain 8500

It isn't just ATI, it's nVidia too. Unfortunately, every video card has driver problems.

In all honesty, I think my ATI drivers are better than comparable nVidia ones fromw hat I've seen. At least I don't get blue screens. :dead:

I haven't as many problems as people complain about ( infinite loop, etc ) & I am using a VIA chipset with a SBLive.:confused:

My only problem with nVIDIA drivers is the s3tc issue ( hardware ? ) & the refresh rate under 2k/xpbut the last one is common to all cards on these OSes.

I've went from a GF1 DDR to GF2 GTS to GF3TI200 & don't have complaints ( except the loud noise from the fan :dead: ).

I don't know if I'm lucky or a God.:D

PS. speaking of Gods, where did Mictlantecuhtli go ?

Does anyone know where I can get a GeForce 3 Ti200 in the U.K for prices almost as cheap as that?
The cheapest I can find is about £85 - about $125.

Help?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back