Best video/graphics card for my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogue12

As title says im loooking for video/graphics card for my pc and was wondering what the best one would be, ill follow the guide for asking this question the best I can.
My comptuer is Acer Power F5

Type of gamer- games that I like and wanna play are fear, ut3, half life 2 games of that type callibre with good detail settings.

My budget- $100-200 AUD

My power supply- FSP300-60THA(1) +12V2 -14.0A < (what I read of the sticker on it) +12V1 - 8.0A

I uploaded images from cpu z, to make it easier too for computer info

graphic interface-, I opened up the computer and I saw 1 pciexpress 16X slot and 2 pci slots, and I saw 1 agp (edit no agp my mistake) slot but unsure of speed.

I plan on giving the computer a 1gb-2gb memory boost too.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Attachments

• cpu.JPG
    cpu.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 18
  • bios.JPG
    bios.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 13
  • memory.JPG
    memory.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 12
Go with an AGP video card that fits your budjet. Don't worry about the speed. The closer to the $200 AUD limit the better

You could go for a 7600gs or 7600gt agp card which are both available and well priced.
There is also the x1950pro agp which is a good performer and sells for under $150 here in the US.

7600GS
Anything more your psu may not handle (14amps) and your cpu would hold back.
X1950Pro no chance.

Not a suggestion of graphics cards as such. But when you do decide which one you are going with staticice is a handy search utility that will give you the cheapes site for that product. It searches Australian Sites and is great. I used it to find the site I bought my computer parts from.

I think you may be surprised as ive seen x1950pros run in pcs with psus similar to his with no issues.

I do agree though I think the 7600gs is the best price vs performance and it slao overclocks very nicely depending on the maker.

Crosscourt said:
I think you may be surprised as ive seen x1950pros run in pcs with psus similar to his with no issues.

I do agree though I think the 7600gs is the best price vs performance and it slao overclocks very nicely depending on the maker.
It would be ok with you to run a X1950Pro on a 14amp psu?
"I think you may be surprised as ive seen x1950pros run in pcs with psus similar to his with no issues."

similar?

You may want to check on the requirements of the card.
The 7600GS is not ideal but with a 14amp psu what it is it is.

Im fully aware of the requirements of both cards yet Ive still seen x1950pros running on similar psus with no issues.

Im presently running a 7600gs on a similar psu so it definitely works....

Heres the psu Ive tested both these cards on in my home systems,youll notice its the same one hes using...

www.plinkusa.net/webFSP300-60THA.htm

I own both these cards....

Crosscourt said:
Im fully aware of the requirements of both cards yet Ive still seen x1950pros running on similar psus with no issues.

Im presently running a 7600gs on a similar psu so it definitely works....

Heres the psu Ive tested both these cards on in my home systems,youll notice its the same one hes using...

www.plinkusa.net/webFSP300-60THA.htm

I own both these cards....
When do you find the time since your a tennis professional/pc tech/gaming-tech editor ?
You must know your stuff too since you have been gaming since the 80's.
Everyone is entitled to their opinons (and values).
Credibility is important to me. I guess not so much with others.
Best of luck to you.

i'm no expert on power consumption, but seems to me a good bet would be to get a 7600 gt (you can get an OC version for about $100 us) AND a better powersupply.
but i'd check whether PCIe slots are x1 or x16, i'd guess anything that ALSO has PCIe slots would be 8x agp, but don't go to the bank on that.
i've got a 7600gt pcie and i ran the fear demo at pretty respectable settings and frame rates. but i've got 3 gig of ram...

anyway, my suggestion would be to spend 200 on a better power supply (say... $60-70 or so) , a 7600 gt (newegg has them for about $100) and another gig of ram (probably around $20). assuming of course that you can find equivilant prices, otherwise i'd say get the GS and another gig of ram

sorry for late response, thanks for the responses, yea i figured out that i would need a new psu, this week im going to a computer fair and ill look for a 600watt psu with better amps on the 12v rail (18amps and over), and ill be getting more ram to boost it too 2gb. my mistake but i dont have a agp slot, so im sorry for all the people suggesting agp cards

so with these new things in my comp, whats graphics could i get now for my system, budget will be 100-150$ AUD for the graphics card. oh and the and the pci express slot is 16X.
thanks for any more info.

oh this computer fair is in next 24hours so i can find a good deal on a good graphics card so around one that costs say 250$ AUD may be 150$ at this computer fair, i want to be able to play unreal tournament 3, fear, half-life (basically games that came out last year) on pretty good detail, also any new graphics card ive heard alot come external with power connectors to the psu this true, when i went and bought a graphics card once, it had a 2 pin connector on it and i had no idea what kind of cord to use for it.

then if your on a tight budget either get an 8800 gt if you can or a 7600 gt (your running xp not vista right?) if you can't afford that yet. an update on 7600 gt frame rates, just got fear itself and with near max settings i'm getting mostly in the 50s so its a good buy if your looking for something inexpensive till you upgrade further

Don't be too concerned about the wattage, no way your system even with an 8800gt would pull more than 350W. You generally don't want to run PSU's at near their max capacity so a 450W or better would be fine, just pay attention to the amperage per rail. You don't even need multiple 12V rails, a single one with double the amps of each on a 2 rail system would be better (yet harder to find).

I don't know how suggestions went from a 7600GS to an 8800GT, thats an incredible performance jump, and equally incredible price jump.

Those same AGP suggestions are still valid for PCIe, you just have a bit more options around those in PCIe.

Hey, what about me?

My computer's getting older, but I don't have the cash to buy a new one. What I want to do is schlep another GPU in there, but I'm not too savvy on this kind of stuff. I would like to know what the newest, bestest card my PC can handle without bottlenecking and wasting money.

Like I said, I'm not super savvy at computers, but I'm not a complete *****, either. I'm running a Compaq with AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with a gig of RAM. Not sure about my power supply, assume it's mediocre. I'm pretty sure there's no PCI Express slot on it, but you geniuses might know more about my system than I do.

Anyhow, a buddy of mine suggested using a Radeon HD 2600 pro, but the reviews I read on it didn't make it sound too grand. Also, he is stupid. Money is definitely an issue, can someone help me out?

um. . .

Well, I don't know if you're stupid. Suggesting a card doesn't make one stupid, I was using other criteria to base my judgement on this other dude.

But on the point of the HD 2600, do you think my buddy might be correct? You brilliant genius, you! I don't know how much use my system might get out of a new GPU, but I would love to play DX10 games. Would the HD 2600 be a big improvement on my 9600? Would the card have more juice than my comp could squeeze? Help me gurus! You're my only hope. . .

"Anyhow, a buddy of mine suggested using a Radeon HD 2600 pro, but the reviews I read on it didn't make it sound too grand. Also, he is stupid"...

You said this, didn't you?

If you look at my hardware specs I am running Vista Home Premium, SP1. My video card is a Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP. This is the one you say has bad reviews. While it is not the greatest card out there, it runs DX10 games like Crysis and Bioshock. You will not be able to run DX10 on XP. I don't think you can run Vista on your "old" system. The Radeon HD 2600 needs a little more power, but I would not be concerned about it

So are you going with the Radeon HD2600 Pro AGP for your older system? I paid $99 US for mine. You should be able to get it cheaper now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back