Beware when downloading from Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
I think this really must end somewhere, RIAA was first behind P2P programs and developers but now that it has set a new target against users, something of a privacy threat issue has risen.

The Recording Industry Association of America and the Motion Picture Association of America are sending a six-page brochure this week to Fortune 1000 corporations with suggested policies -- including a sample memo to workers warning them against using company computers to download songs and movies.

The brochure also carries a clear threat: Stop workers from stealing copyrighted materials or be sued.

Maybe the RIAA would like to come to our work and spy on us, to make sure that we aren't downloading anything illegal?

This has got to stop. How many politicians are in these guy's pockets...???

tru phant, maybe we should be going to war with the RIAA instead of going to war with iraq. ;/

the Riaa's short sightedness is eventually going to come home to roost when the general public wise's up to the fact that the Riaa veiws them as the enemy.

You know, it doesn't really bother me so much that they want to keep us from sharing music and movies, the main concern I have are all the other rights as consumers we are subject to lose if RIAA and MPAA are allowed to continue. They must be stopped

It’s all about money, and the best way to prevent losing money is totalitarian control. "All we're trying to do is protect our investment in the digital landscape," says Jack Valenti, president and CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America. As I posted earlier, there are politicians who would sell their mother for a quarter: Rep. Howard L. Berman, Rep. Howard Coble or Sen. Ernest Hollings. In any case, the money references can be found at the Federal Election Commission, and if you really want to have a good vomit, then go to the (still relevant) article here:

http://www.pcworld.com/features/article/0,aid,104699,00.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back