BF2 & Graphics Card Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbzy

I have recently bought a new computer basically so i could play the newer games like cod2, bf2 etc but its not living up to my expectations. When i play BF2 the game seems jerky with the graphics settings on meduim and takes a while to load. On CounterStrike i only get 60fps and i lag real bad when im near smoke but i dont understand why as my old pc had a lower spec and ran cs perfectly.

My computer Spec:

160gb HD
1gb Ram
GeForce 6200 LE 256mb
Intel Pentuim 4 3.06ghz Processor
19' TFT Monitor

Another question, i tried uprgrading my driver for my graphics card but when i did my computer showed my graphics card as 128mb rather than 256mb, how is that so?

Any ideas on how i can improve my performance, and is my graphics card a poor choice?

You have enough RAM and a good CPU to play recent games decently, but that video card is not powerful enough for the latest games. It's roughly at the level of the mid-range cards from the R9x00/FX5x00 era, and it's now considered a low-end card.
A 6200LE is too weak for BF2 at medium settings (maybe even at the lowest settings).

In case you want to get a new video card, tell us your budget and we'll recommend you something.

Thanks for that mate, yeh i will be lookin to update my graphics card then. Anythin upto £150 or maybe £200 would be fine.

Does your motherboard support AGP or PCI-Express?

AGP: your options are limited, the best buy is probably the 6800GT (it's getting harder to find every day), but the 6800GS is almost as fast. A good alternative is the ATI X850XT.

PCI-E: you can get some stronger cards like the 7800GT (some luck is needed to find it under £200, though).

Right im not so good with computers, i know the spec and i know how to play games etc but thats abou it! How would if find out whether i can use AGP or PGI-Express?

Run a system diagnostic program like Everest and see if your motherboard supports AGP or PCI-E.
You can also check the kind of connection your current card (the 6200) uses, or simply tell me what kind of motherboard you have.

umm heres what i could find for my motherboard...

Model: GA-8I915PMD
Vendor: NEC Computers International

Does that help?

Weird, I couldn't find a motherboard with the exact same name, it must be a GA-8I915P modification of some sort.
According to Gigabyte, all their i915 chipset motherboards have PCI-E slots, so you need a PCI-Express video card.

Ok thanks very much for your help, before i go and buy a card, could you recommend say 3 cards under £200 that will fit my motherboard? Thanks again for your help

6800gs
x850xt
x800xl
x800gto

Be sure to get the pci express x16 version of the cards above.
The x850xt would be the best one of the above cards I think.

You'll need the PCI-Express edition of the following cards:
Geforce 7800GT (the best you can get for £200), ATI X850XT (somewhat weaker and cheaper), Geforce 6800GT (roughly the same as the X850XT but with more features), Geforce 6800GS (a bit weaker than the 6800GT).

A 7800gt would be better, but I doubt you'll find one for the specified price, I think they're all at least 15 pounds over.

Thanks for the help guys, will need to look at purchasing a new card when i get my bonus in february! cheers again

hi, (firstly sorry for bumping the old thread but I have basically the same question) I have
2.9ghz P4, 1gb ram, 6200le 256mb and a 19' monitor. (I want a new card but can't afford it right now, well the one i'd like), is there anyway to improve the preformance in the mean time?

is it worth a small upgrade until I have more money? something like a 7300gs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back