BIG heating problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNoname

Hi, this is my first request guys, sorry if I do some mistakes.

I have a real big heating problem. My cpu goes up to 80 degres C. in the BIOS and also in my Asus probe software. here's my config.

NEW--- MOBO-RAM-CPU-GRAPHIC CARD.

Asus P5B deluxe WIFI. socket 775
Intel P4, 3.2ghz, 2mo cache. => ORIGINAL HEATSINK
2gig of RAM - CORSAIR 533
Leadtek 7600GT 256MO
HD1 - Raptor 36g, 10000k SATA
HD2 - Maxtor 250g, IDE
DVDR multi layer LG
AND maybe my problem - PSU - Antec 380W - 20/24pin

***NO OVERCLOCKING HAS BEEN DONE***
My Mobo is at 30 Degres C, witch is good I think.
But like I said my CPU in the BIOS goes up to 80C in about 30 seconds.

Can someone give my is idea on this. And also, can a low PSU power (like 380W) can cause heating problem on my CPU ?? Or what can cause that king of heat (I know it's the original Heatsink, but it should be at least ok for reg. utilisation) ?

I'm pretty sure I should have at least a PSU of 400W or more. Before I go buy a GOOD PSU, I want your opinion on this.

Thank you very much in advance.

It isn't the PSU. The only thing the PSU could do is not give enough power to the CPU which would make it cooler if anything. Your processor is a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz Prescott. Prescott P4s get very hot and 2 models of them have had to be canceled because the Intel stock cooler couldn't keep them cool enough. I would suggest getting an aftermarket cooler like the Zalman CNPS9500. That should keep your processor cool.

temps like that could be caused by an improperly affixed heatsink. there should be an adequate amount (volume equal to that of one U.S. dime) of thermal paste between the heatsink and the processor. too much or too little can let the cpu get real hot while the heatsink is relatively cool. also, a heatsink that is crooked or obstructed or not installed correctly can be causing this.

given the processor you have, i'd go for a zalman 7700cu or the 9500 cooler.

Thank you guys.

I'll first buy some good thermal paste, see what it does and probably try a new heatsink afterthat.

At least I know it's probably not my PSU.

You have a great PSU. Antec is known for their great quality PSU's, and don't be fooled by the "low wattage". 380 W is more than enough for most PC's.

I would advise getting an Arctic Cooling CPU fan, I had the exact same problem until i got this cheap monster of a cpu fan which cools my CPU very well.

wolfram said:
You have a great PSU. Antec is known for their great quality PSU's, and don't be fooled by the "low wattage". 380 W is more than enough for most PC's.
provided you don't have a high end graphics card

I'm pretty sure it can handle a single 7800GT, a 7600GT, or a X1800 card. But it could have problems with a X1950XTX, or a 7900GTX :blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back