Big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i have a big problem. First off let me tell you a bit about my computer. I have a home built comp with 200 gig HD and 3 gig p4. i am running the windows XP os sp2. Now on to the problem. In the clarification of this i will use pictures to show what im talking about for further clarification. So i had a virus on my computer. Stupid me i tried to remove it. I looked online for tech advice to my problems. I got some advice from a friend and then took advantage of it. I deleted some good files. But thats not the problem. I got them back my loading a duplicate copy of windows on the HD.
untitledis7.png
as can be seen in this folder i have 2 diff copies of windows loaded i can choose the copy i want to load up on boot. So after i putbackthe files i started up the regualr windows folder and i noticed taht the grafix drivers wernt working and the lagging virus problem was still there. So i right clkced and went into my display properties menu and went to the advanced display settings. I noticed that it wasnt recgonising the grafix card. i only saw one option thing under the advanced settings it was some menu where i got to choose default autoamtic and some other options. i chose automatic becasue it seemed that it would work better seeing as the grafix card would probally work when automatic was chosen. I was wrong. I restarted the computer and tried to start it up in that OS but it didnt work. after the win xp load screen it just went black. i had my speakers on and could hear the start up noice so i think the display was messed up. i then tried to start the same OS in safe mode. it went throuhg the list of drivers and just froze at then end so i think it started up but the screen didnt change. So now im operating on the windows2 os and attempting to recover my files from the regular windows OS. So what im wondering. Is there a way to access the display settings of the windows OS or atleast the my documents folder on the other OS. Now i get an access denied folder when i look in the documents and settings folder for the other OS. Help would be great. My email is danbarrieau@yahoo.com my msn address is ikantspll@hotmail.com and aim is ikantspll . i can be reached at any of those messangers and email address. I look foreward to some help with my extreamley complicated problem.

Dan, no matter what you do would you ever be confident in the reliability of your system? A virus on a multi OS hard drive is disastrous for both. Reinstalling your OS would be my advice. Dale.

but the virus hasnt carried over to the second OS and im afariad reinstalling and reformatting will end up with all of my files lost

Reinstall with reformat first is the best way to solve your problem, I agree with people above.

However, if you want to save your files, you may do this:

- Reinstall your OS without formatting. You won't lose any data files if you choose this option. This action just to help you to be able to get in and save your files (buy burning to CDs, or copy to removable files).

- After you save all your important files, reinstall again, but this time, choose to format. There are rarely virus survive after formatting.

Op2 said:
Reinstall with reformat first is the best way to solve your problem, I agree with people above.

However, if you want to save your files, you may do this:

- Reinstall your OS without formatting. You won't lose any data files if I choose this option. This action just to help you to be able to get in and save your files (buy burning to CDs, or copy to removable files).

- After you save all your important files, reinstall again, but this time, choose to format. There are rarely virus survive after formatting.

This option may transfer the virus too. A full format and not a quick format might be the wisest option

ok well i did the reload the windows settings good new is my display settings ae back to normal bad news is i still dont have access to the my documents folder even under the administrator

What you have to do is change the permissions for the files you want to access!!!! I can't remember how to do it but i will do a little research when i have time and get back to you!!!!
I know its to do with sharing and security but i can't remember more than that at the mo!!!!

FIXED i had to log on to safe mode and clikc the security tab then advanced then had to assign ownership fromn there i asssigned it to my name and so on and so forth till i got all the folders. its time consuming but extreamley rewarding. i thank some random dude taht i guess saw this and added my msn. im willing to help anyone elce with the same problem in the future. I AM SO HAPPY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back