BIOS did not detect my old CDR and HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built a new computer by using ASUS A8V-MX motherboard and AMD64 Athlon 3500+ CPU, I pull the FD, CDR and 40 gb Maxtor HD from my working old computer, the BIOS detect the FD only but no the CDR and HD, so I went out and bought a new Maxtor 300gb SATA HD and a new CDRW drive, the BIOS detected both new hardwares, I was able to load the Window xp and get the computer working, but the old CDR and HD still not detected, any ideas how to get the old hardware working?

The new SATA HD show up as Third primary master on BIOS and is the C drive in window. For the old HD I set the jumper to primary, slave and cable none of the setting helped, I also change the cable and power supply no help either.

How did you set the jumper for the CD drive? If you put the devices on the same cable, then you need to set jumpers properly on both.

You could go to BIOS setup and make sure that all the IDE devices are set to auto-detect.

The CDR drive is on the secondary IDE slot, the old ATA HD is on the primary IDE slot, The SATA HD is on the SATA slot on the motherboard. The new CDRW is the primary the old CDR is set on slave. I think I need the driver for the old CDR, its Lite-on model LTN-382, I went to their website try to down loard the driver but since its so old they don't have. I have no ideas why the HD is not detected, its not that lod.

Optical drives do not need any drivers.

Does the BIOS recognise the devices? If BIOS can't see them, then you canm fotget about any drivers or other Windows tricks helping you.

Have you tried the IDE drive by itself as 'Master'? Let's rule the optical drive out of the equation. Likewise, try the optical drive by itself as Master... Do either of them work?

Keep in mind some hard drives have different master settings... Single Master (by itself) and Master with slave present (Master with a slave on the same cable).

The BIOS don't detect either the old CDR or the old HD, I try to set it as master or slave it didn't work, Maxtor's sebsite say for the newer PC it should set at cable, but that don't work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back