Bios/HDD Problem Please Help A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I've been reading some forums about a problem I'm currently having with my hard drive. I got the message "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart." And tried a solution from someone who posted in a related thread; about changing the bios settings to default. But it didn't work for me. I'm not sure what their situations where but for me... I have Windows 2000 Professional and a 250GB Maxtor HDD with 235GB of used memory on the drive. The error message just popped up the other day after my PC froze and I rebooted. I've had previous occations of data loss due to the 140GB Barrier; but this time I made sure to update my OS and some other things to make sure that didn't happen again. I have been using the HDD past 140GB safely for some time now, but then this happend. So could this be due to my Bios not being able to read the large 235GB Partition now? I have an Asus P4P800 Motherboard, with a Bios that reads "v2.51 Copyright 1985-2002 American Megatrends Inc." Would updating my Bios help this problem? Also In a thread Someone says that using "bootitng" helped him boot his computer up. Is that something That I should try in this situation. Would it be safe? I want do do this correctly without losing any files so If anyone knows the best way, or anyway I could get my computer working correctly I would highly appreciate it! Thanks you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back