Bios upgrade?? wont work..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dae_amp_ika_dtp

i know its a dumb question. but is there a way to format my floppy in IBM format using software? i dont have a ibm drive. and i dont wana buy a 10 pack of pre formatted ibm disk. the problem is. im trying to upgrade a ms-6330 v2 motherboard. its a gateway oem board made by msi. the bios update will only work on a ibm format floppy disk. as it says on the gayteway site "When updating your computer's BIOS, the update process fails if you use a floppy disk formatted in Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows NT®, or Windows XP. Instead, use a new IBM pre-formatted disk. " this sound like bs to me. they wont even give me a iso version at least. any help is apreciated

I don't think they mean ibm format, i think they mean a formatted disk made by ibm.

lol! Yeh, I agree with Rik.

Why do you need to do a BIOS upgrade anyways? As Howard Hopkinso said on a thread a few weeks back: "If it aint broke, dont fix it"

Regards,

Korrupt

oh. lol. ok then. well its for a computer that needs the update in order to have xp running smoothly. well i tried a disk made by ibm and it didnt work. like i said i am not about to go out and buy a 10 pack of old school media. well i'll keep trying these old floppies lol.

Where did you get the bios update from? And what exactly do you mean by "it didnt work"?

rik said:
Where did you get the bios update from? And what exactly do you mean by "it didnt work"?

i got the update from gateway.com. i tried a ibm floppy with the bios files, and i got the error saying that its not a bootable diskette. thats why gateway put a note not to format the floppy using windows 2000-xp. but yeah i dont have any new floppys lying around. only old ones. so im not sure if they were formated with windows 2000 and up. im really not willing to buy a 10 pack. but i will if its my only option. thanks for the help.

nvm. i got it to work. it had nothing to do with new ibm disk. i just had to make a boot disk. and load the files from there. thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back