Bios upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, just wondering if can anyone help i have just bought a seagate 300gb hdd to connect to my foxconn 761gxk8mb-rs mobo 64bit running vista ultimate 64 bit. but the bios will not recognise the hdd.current bios is phoenix award v6.00pg.

spent hours today on the net but unable to find upgrade or flash.

any help or suggestions please. thanks in advance.

First, be sure you have a Windows XP Service Pack 2 install, as anything less will be trouble. Windows XP with no Service Pack will NOT allow changes in hard drive size. Windows XP with Service Pack 1 is unreliable.
Is this FoxConn a motherboard independent of any manufacturer?
Dell, HP, and Compaq use some Foxconn boards. If it is in a computer sold under a brand name, the BIOS update will likely be on the website of the computer manufacturer.
Then go here:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/support/downloads.aspx
The FoxConn 761GXK8MB-RS or KRS should work.
YOU WILL NEED TO FLASH THE BIOS FROM A FLOPPY DRIVE DISK, IN MY EXPERIENCE. So if you do not have one, install one... even a used one... most repair shops will sell you one for $5.00.
If you have doubts, call FoxConn tech support, as ALL BIOS UPDATES ARE RISKY.
That is a pretty new board, and the lastest BIOS was issued in January of 2008.

Thanks for that I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and the mobo is not part of Dell or alike it is a home made system. I will have a look at Foxconn and see what happens.

I have kept a fdd in my comp just in case. Once again thankyou.

Help

I don't know how I ended up at this site but I need help. I have a hotmail account and for some reason my password won't work so i tried to reset it and they sent an e-mail to the address I am unable to access. They say there is a way to access your e-mail without a password but they won't tell you how. I know I may be on the wrong website but if you can help me that would be graet. I'm ready to rip my hair out!!!!!

The information in this post, or sticky, on BIOS, is very much dated nowadays.
There are large numbers of laptops and desktop computers for which you can update the BIOS without the use of DOS, or without the use of a floppy drive.
Many motherboards can now have their BIOS flashed from a file on a CD, or on a USB flash drive, or other device. This is particularly true of boards manufactured in the 2006, 2007, and 2008... and computers manufactured by Dell and HP.
What is more, many BIOS installs can be removed if incorrectly installed. You can delete some installs of BIOS.
Thus, it is useful to read carefully the motherboard or computer manufacturer's recommendations, and be certain you fully understand them... as well as those instructions in the TechSpot sticky.

Thanks for all your help but it seems the hdd has the fault as I jumpered it to read as a 33.8gb hdd and still my bios would not recognise so I have returned to Seagate and they will replace it and I have an updated bios. Once again Thankyou for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back