Biostar M7VKD + Athlon 950 = no boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoff

I really need the help from you guys on this one since I've been trying to help my friend and we haven't been able to even find the problem.

My friend is building a new system for internet surfing and we've been trying to get the system to boot but the thing doesn't show a sign. All the fans in the system run and the power led lights but there's no POST or sounds. We've tried reversing the speaker's connection to the mobo but still no sounds. We've set the board's jumpers in every way imaginable but nothing happens. We returned the mobo and got a replacement but still nothing. We tried the CPU on anothr mobo but it wouldn't boot. We also tried another CPU on the mobo and nothing. Any help would be appreciated. This is the weirdest thing I've seen ever since I hacked open a PC for the first time.

The specs are:

Athlon 950 (Socket A)
Biostar M7VKD mobo
256mb generic pc-100 ram
ATi Rage 128 Pro 32mb agp vid card
integrated sound

Ok, I re-tested the CPU and was able to get it to work, so the problem is mobo related. My friend talked to the guys at Biostar but they didn't accomplish anything. I checked to see if the mobo was shorted to the case but there's no contact. Since I know the CPU is not the problem I thought this might narrow it down for you guys to try and figure it out.

BTW a guy mentioned it could be the power supply but it seems to work fine and it's rated at 320w. I'm not very experienced with power supply problems so maybe some of you guys can make some input.

Any help is appreciated.

If you have a multimeter, you can easily check the PSU to make sure it has the correct values. The voltages and wire code should be on the PSU label.

Since the CPU is good and you have tried two motherboards, I'd say that it almost has to be the PSU, or else something isn't connected properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back