Biostar P4M80-M4 & CPU FAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello -

I built 3 pc's using the Biostar P4m80-M4 mobo, Intel p4 3.0 CPU, 1 gig RAM etc. They all run great except for one thing, the CPU fan belongs on a 747(airplane) !!! They constantly run at 6000 RPM. The CPU temp runs 18-22 degrees C at the 6000 RPMs. The BIOS shows the Fan speed in the PC Health section, but no way to adjust it. I have the same CPU/Fan combo in 2 HP/Compaq D530's and they couldnt' be quieter. The fan adjusts when needed and I never hear them. I downloaded SpeedFan, which shows you the speed, but no matter what I do, I cannot adjust it. I even installed the WarpSpeeder software that came with the mobo and it also dsiplay various pieces of information, but no ability to change fan speed. I also wrote all of this information to the Biostar Tech Support guys and Andy wrote back to tell me: "Sorry about this issue. if you would like to have fan control, you need to get a new fan." That's it! Nothing about what specs the fan need etc. The current fan has a 3-wire connector and appears to be about 70mm. What I am wondering is what should I be looking for in a replacement? If the BIOS has no ability that I can find, to make adjustments, and it only displays the fan info(kinda greyed out, non-editable) - how would I know what to buy?

I had updated the BIOS to 6/2006 before even loading the OS, so that is current. I don't want to spend a lot on new fans - like $10 is about it for these cheap machines. If it the combo work right in other PC's, what's wrong with this Mobo/BIOS combo? I am so puzzled by this and have been searching for an answer for 2 weeks. About ready to toss them out the window because no one can stand the loud noise! Have I mentioned how LOUD these are? LOL

Any help you guys can provide will keep me from climbing to the roof and leaping! Appreciate it!

LOL, sorry - I was thinking a 747 Airplane! This is a socket 478, Intel P4 3.0 G HT chip. Thanks for reading and asking, I may get my answer yet!

That seems to be a little high for a fan speed. Your cpu temp is definitely well under control for that P4 unless your bios is lying. I am working on a crappy E machines as we speak with the same motherboard you have and my cpu temp is running at 20 degrees celsius with a cpu fan speed of about 3183 rpm and I do not have anything special put into it. ( cheap cpu fan and aluminum heatsink) Do you have a stock intel fan and are you using the same mobo in all these computers?Some motherboards have cool and quiet technology as you may know that automatically adjusts the speed of the fan by the cpu temp. I am running a 2.6 celeron in this unit. My distributor sells a lot of coolermaster fans here but the last one I picked up for this biostar board was a comp usa brand with a copper heatsink.

Same exact setup in all 3, and the same heatsink/fan in a HP/Compaq D530(different mobo for HP). The fan self adjusts in the HP and runs max in my other 3 problem-pc's. I just don't know what kind of fans to replace them with, because I do not know what makes them able to be self-adjusting.

Any of the major sellers such as www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, www.outpost.com, www.techdepot.com, and so on will have them under CPU's or Cooling Devices.
You look for 478 in the capatibility area... then the specs, then the description. You look for 478, then PWM speed adjustment or other such words.
You will find that Zalman, ThermalTake, CoolerMaster, AereoCool, Dynatron, Artic Cooler, and many others will have units you need.
Also, any good computer store will be able to help you.
You can find fans that will do what you need for as little as $15 and as high as $75 but the above vendors will sell what is good and reliable. Some are warranteed for three years, but most for only one... yet they seldom fail.
I think it is best to buy a unit that comes complete with a heat sink and thermal paste... then you will know everything fits.

Thanks, I will go and buy new ones this week and let you know how it works. Doesn't make sense, though, that the fans adjust on the HP boxes when they are all identical.......making me think it's the mobob/bios.

Julie, check to make sure that this cpu is supported by this via chipset. If Biostar says that it is; I would proceed to get another fan. They have had some issues with some of those pentium chips not being supported by the motherboard. This could be causing a fan issue. However, it is probably a mobo issue.

There is another section under your header that also gives supported cpus and maximum fsb speed. It looks like yours is supported but some are not. I had an issue with a 2.4 ghz p4 that they said was not supported. I ended up taking the board back to my distributor. The fsb speed of this 2.4 was 400mhz. Another thing that the tech guy at biostar mentioned was an issue with power supplies under 350 watts with a p4 cpu and their motherboard. It still would not hurt to give them a call and talk to their tech dept personally. I do not recall you mentioning the brand of the fan and heatsink you are using in these systems. The reason I asked is because the last computer I built for a client was an intel celeron d 3.2 ghz with a stock intel fan and heatsink. I used an msi socket 775 board. If I am not mistaken; the cpu fan ran anywhere from 3800 to 5400 rpms with a cpu idle temp of 42 celsius. The cool and quiet technology regulated the fan speed at various times but I disabled it because I do not trust the bios to protect my computer. I like to see my cpu fan running at all times so if for some reason it stops; I know there is an issue.As the other poster said, try another inexpensive fan with pulse width modulation and the problem might go away.

Update: The DI4-7H51C Heatsink is just a bit too big for the frame to hold it. Sooooooo, took the fan off the old heatsink and modified the new fan(drilled out the tabs to make holes), put the new fan on the old heatsink and fired it up. The BIOS shows it running at about 4200 RPM's, which is WAY quieter, but still not adjustable at all. The fan specs say 3800, so I can't wait to see how long before the fan fails.....but for now, problem solved for the noise.....I think this motherboard is prohibiting the fan speed adjustments....any thoughts? Can anyone else adjust fan speeds on a Biostar P4M80-M4 running a Pentium 4 3.0 ?

This has been a "problem" board for us, with lots of issues. Newegg has dropped the price substantially.
One action you must take is to download and install updated drivers and board ware... the downloads correct a lot of troubles with this BIOStar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back