Bit of a sticky question?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

Hi all, I just got hold of a load of 2mm sheet clear acrylic. I'm thinking about making a window in my pc.

I could just go for a plain old window but i have an idea to make it more useful and better to look at!!! I would like to build it as a reservoir as well!!!!

Problem is, I'm no expert with acrylic and wondered if anyone knows of a good clear glue available in the UK that will stick the stuff????

It needs to be cheap (i ain't got a lot of money) and of course water resistant!!!

Thanx in advance for any help, oh, and after remembering what happened with my last question, thanx Howard in advance:) hehe

I believe that you could use clear epoxy to glue that together. I've used it to glue metal to glass before and it held very well.

Thanx for the help but epoxy tends to be pricey and very brittle!!! I would profer something that has a little give in it to make leaks as rare as possible!!!!

Well, fiberglass w/ the epoxy would be the best, but fiberglass isnt that clear. Boats are made of fiberglass, so dont worry about it leaking.

Hmmmm, i would profer something clear tho!!!!!

I just did an experiment, i can "weld" it with a soldering iron and it doesn't look too bad!!!!!

Another possibilty is model (RC) plane glue called Super Jet. It will bond anything. Otherwise, epoxy usually isn't that expensive, at least here in the states. Like $10 for the amount you would need.

I just had another though, how bout silicone glue? That should hold pretty well, too.

Thanx for all your help guys, but i may have discovered something!!

I have some stuff called plastic weld, i got it ages ago for invisibly repairing abs case panels. I need to experiment more, but it seems to be able to melt acrylic and it may well do the job i want!!

And the beauty is, i already have it!!!!

I would like to thank you all for your time and your suggestions, if the plastic weld doesn't do a good enough job then i will look into as many of your suggestions as i can!!!!

Silicone rubber adhesive is what you want. That`s the stuff they use for gluing fishtanks together, so no problems with leaks or pressure lol.

Take a look HERE. You will be able to get it from most aquarium shops.

Regards Howard :)

Thanx Howard, if the plastic weld stuff wont do the job, your suggestion will be perfert!!!!

Plus there is an aquarium shop only 2 miles from me (heck of a walk tho)!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back