Bittorent not downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prevs

Im currently using utorrent as my bit torrent client, in the past if I downloaded a torrent and opened it in utorrent it usually started in at max 10 minutes, but the past few days it not downloading anything I even left it for 7 hours because I thought it had some thing to do with dht status or something. I recently formated, preformat it worked fine

torrent and P2P software discussion is generally frowned upon here at techspot as it is mostly used for piracy (not tolerated here) and also it subjects computers to a litany of viri attack possibilities.

There`s nothing wrong in using a torrent client in itself. For example you might want to download a linux distro etc. This is perfectly legal.

There`s only a problem when it becomes clear that copyrighted material is being downloaded. This is clearly illegal.

That`s when threads tend to get closed.

Techspot does not and cannot condone any form of piracy. If we were to do so, it would leave us open to potential prosecution and maybe even being shut down.

That`s why we take the stance that we do.

Regards Howard :)

yeah but howard you and i both now that people who have a p2p dont search for legal stuff

Bit-torrent has legitimate uses. Files such as game demoes or software patches are faster to get via Bit-torrent then through a simple http download sometimes.

taylub said:
yeah but howard you and i both now that people who have a p2p dont search for legal stuff

That`s quite true.

My only concern is the good name of Techspot.

Other than that, I`m not too bothered.

Regards Howard :)

Well if we are going to debate the uses of torrents all day the problem isn't going to get solved.

The question as is mentions nothing about obtaining things illegally, so why not just assume it was for legal files and go from there.

First thing to check is use uTorrent's check to see if the ports are being fowarded properly. I can't remember exactly where it is, but its an option in one of the menus. It isn't labeled explicitly in the menu what it is, its something else and then there is a button to click that tests if your ports are being properly fowarded.

Likely that is the problem, it isn't unheard of for a router to just magically quit fowarding ports.

Check that and then get back with us if the problem still exists.

some isp's will shut off the 6881 port thats common for BT
keep that udp port open and use another high number http port
like 33000
in my tests my 2 isp's shut dwn that port for a few days then opened it back up
bandwidth hogging is the isp's enemy

ya I dwnld lots of linux distro's

ps there are about 2,000 and more agency's that grab ip address's from BT's
they know who you are

yeah been about a week since I checked my posts, (though this thread was closed). Unfortunately of fortunately (depending on your position on the matter) its like that song out at the moment "download this song" technology is progressing faster that it can be regulated.

and buy the way could Samstoned or anyone could you elaborate on the ststement you made "there are about 2,000 and more agency's that grab ip address's from BT's they know who you are" is this mrere conspiracy theory is substantiated fact.

yeah my port forwarding works, its weird though because the download speed fluctuates. Im fairly new to bittorent but from what ive read if the seed to leech (or watever you wnat to call it) ratio isnt at least 50/50 thats what you have to expect. Ive notices though sometimes if the bittorrent client window has been minimised or if youve left a file to download and say the screen saver is on and the speed drops, but when you come back and maximise the screen the speed jumps automatically. Does this sound crazy?

Well, three or more (to include those working on their behalf) are the MPAA, the RIAA and the BPI. There really isn't much of a conspiracy theory there - it's fairly substantiated. Just download one of those programs that aim to block IP adresses from connecting to your p2p client (for various reasons, namely to protect people using it illegaly [Hence the reason I'm not naming any]) and look at the list. It's a fairly well substantiated statement.

The seed:leech ratio doesn't have to be 50:50 for decent speeds and reliable downloads though. What has to be rememberd is that on a torrent with a large number of peers that includes no seeds at all, the full file may well be available many many times over due to each person having different parts of the file. That's one of the beauties of the bittorent protocol.

One thing strange I observed when I was googling trying to find ways to increase my bittorent speed, a utorent speed guide page http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3912 said that turning on the encryption could make your download faster. I noticed that for a while I was able to get upto max bandwidth even though I had reached and passed my cap does having the encryption on make it harder for isp's to throttle you

Yes, it does, but it only really applies to ISP's using Deep Packet Inspection technology (often in the form of Ellacoya switches) to place torrent traffic in a slower/ lower priority queue.

Exactly :) That's why encryption is an effective measure against ellacoya throttling :)

Of course, it's not as good as it could be, as not all BT clients use encryption, and those that do often use different encryptions from client to client.

It should be noted though that if your ISP is indeed throttling BT traffic, it would be in breach of your ToS if you deliberately tried to work around it.

i dont know if they do use ellacoya throttling but I could argue that im using encryption to secure my data as it travel across the net for my own privacy. At lest I think I can, Ill have to look into it, Im in Australia and im pretty sure it hasnt been implemented here yet. I guess it will be a battle between the bittorent programmers and others who have a staked interest and The ISP's over who can outdo the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back