Black screen after BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm having some video card trouble... here's the story:

I was installing the latest Catalyst drivers for my 9600 pro a few weeks ago, I did the regular process that you're supposed to do, but something went wrong in the installation. So I decided to restart and try to install it again. I did that, but it still didn't work, so I thought I should try to install the old Catalyst's, so I uninstalled what I had of the newly installed drivers. I restarted, and after the BIOS/Windows booting screen came on (with the blue loading bar), but the Windows start screen did not show up. I had a few friends come over and try to help me fix it, but there wasn't any luck. Thankfully, I had an old nVIDIA card lying around, and I put that in, and it worked fine.

Now today, I got a new graphics card to replace the 9600 (X1300 Pro) and I still have that ATi problem. I tried removing everything ATi related in my computer. I used the ATi uninstall program, Driver Cleaner, RegSupreme, manually deleting ATi folders, I tried deleting some atisomething.something files in system32, but new ones just went back in there. I tried all the F8 options, Safe Mode freezes after a few seconds, VGA mode doesn't work, etc....Now I'm stumped.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5783&highlight=black+screen

This guy has the exact same problem as me.

What I think I can do is just buy an nVIDIA card and not mess with it ever again... but I'd like to fix it. Can anyone help? Thanks!

can your PSU handle the ATi card?
second, ATI drivers are known to be buggy. You may have to try a version that works.

Yep, it can handle it...(It can't handle the truth though :p)

I don't know how I could try installing ATi drivers when I can't see Windows... Is there a way to install them before Windows starts?

Try do a windows repair..

Hang on.. do you have a onboard video there? If you do, go into bios and disable that and set it to the video card (AGP/PCI-e etc)

Okay, I purchased an XFX GeForce 6800XT AGP and tried it. Same exact error as all the cards so far. I think formatting would fix it.

you still stuck? or got it fixed?

Using the Winxp cd, boot into recovery console and type in sfc /scannow
What motherboard are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back