Black Screen after splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I repair computers for a side job, and this one is frustrating me haha. Here is what is going on. I turn it on, the windows xp boot screen comes up, with the splash screen and when thats over, the screen goes black, and the login screen is supposed to show up, but it never does, and after a few moments it will restart itself like a broken record.

I am about to meet him in a few hours so any help will be appreciated!
What I am plannin on doing is hit F8 and enter VGA mode to see if this solves the problem. But I dont want to have to have him enter VGA all the time if this works. Should I uninstall his video driver? and if I do will video show up after that when I reboot his computer? He is running WinXP Home SP2.

If any of you have had the same problem please respond. I have checked the messege boards on this site and all threads seem to have a different opinion. Anyone found one that works?! Thanks in advance for your replies!:)

I can answer just part of your question. Hitting F8 to go into Safe Mode won't actually solve your problem by itself but it should allow you to get into Windows to try to solve the problem particularly if the problem is caused by software. If you uninstall your graphics driver, Windows generic VGA driver should take over after you reboot.

mailpup is correct once you unstill the drivers in safemode or you could is keep the drivers but delete the user login profile only do this if its a new build. Otherwise remove drivers reboot the system VGA mode kicks in, re-install the drivers. Prior doing this you should run chkdsk /f on c: then defrag the c: /f then install the drivers..

I understand it may be a driver program, how can I run chkdsk if I cannot stay on xp long enough to run commands?

should I borrow another xp installation disk? mine is unavailable, will microsoft permint a download if you have a id number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back