Black screen after windows logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ilanao

When I turn on the computer, I get to the windows logo screen and then my monitor light flicks off and on for a second and the screen goes black with just the white arrow cursor. This started after two attempts at repairing windows earlier today when it refused to boot up past the logo screen. After about 15 minutes, the "windows is starting" screen comes up and then the "Welcome" screen. After that it hangs up. I have tried booting in safe mode, vga mode, hit my head on the wall mode and nothing works. I tried searching online, but can't find a solution that works for this scenario.

I would appreciate any help you can give me!

try a full install of windows xp. you said you tried repairing.. i would say it is time tor reinstall then.

wipe it clean and start over

Have you made any hardware or software changes recently? It could be a faulty peice of hardware. Or you dont have enough juice. Or you could try a full install of windows as suggested.

Sean

I haven't made any changes. I deleted some old game programs my kids weren't using anymore this morning and then defragged my drive--I have only done it once before on this computer. It was fine afterward, but when I tried to open a program later, it wouldn't respond and wouldn't shut down. I shut it down manually, but then it wouldn't boot up past the logo screen. I didn't do anything unusual, but something obviously got goobered up! I've reinstalled Windows in the past, but I had to uninstall SP2 in order to do it. I obviously can't uninstall SP2 with my current situation. I actually chose the install instead of the repair earlier, but usually it tells me I can't reinstall because I have a newer version of XP. This time it gave me choices of deleting partitions or installing on C: or partitioning and I didn't want to choose the wrong thing and have it write over my stuff. I just wanted to install Windows over itself like I've done in the past. I've been able to reinstall to fix major problems and it's always worked fine. I just need to know which option to select so that I don't do a "clean" install.

I just finished the reinstall. It rebooted and it's back to the black screen of death! I'm not sure what to do next?

Ok so now it seems like a peice of hardware might be failing. Lets try the easiest to replace, the video card. If you have another laying around or in a nother PC (that is the same interface) i would try that. If that doesnt work, replace your Power supply with one that you know to be good, or take it to a repair shop and have it tested. (you can also buy them at staples office deopt etc for 10 bucks)

I let the computer sit for awhile after reinstalling. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the welcome screen and after about an hour it loads up the desktop. It doesn't seem like a video card issue anymore. Just an incredibly slow boot-up. Should I post a new thread in another forum?

Yeh, that is very odd starting off as a graphics problem only to develop into another issue. Try posting into the Cpu,chipsets,mobo's section
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back