Black screen on Windows startup after chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Knight123

Hi

When i started up my pc the other day it cam up with the following message

"Windows could not start because the following file is corrupt or missing"

\windows\system32\system\system

I have now managed to get that fixed by using files from an earlier restore point. I then booted up windows again. This time, i got onto the windows loading screen, further than last time, and now a blue screen comes up saying something about a hive and the file

\systemroot\system32\config\software

After seeing this i was then advised to do chkdsk. After an hour of waiting for that to finish i start up my computer only to find the blue screen has gone, but now the screen is completely black and does not load. Also when i try booting up in safe mode it stops and does not load as far as the windows loading screen. Need help, spent three days trying to fix the first part only to find this.

Thanks

First I would download the diagnostic software of your hard drive maker and run it. if the hard drive is ok, then I would try a repair install of XP. system restore sometimes helps with small problems but corruption in the system files, on a large scale are usually solved on with a repair install or a format and reinstall.

where would I find the diagnostic software for my hard drive as i dont think the driver and software cd that came with the pc has it on?

Also i cannot repair windows xp without using the recovery console as i do not have the option. Only delete and make a new partition on the hard drive. I have also tried using chkdsk /f, with no luck as it says "The parameter is not valid". It has taken three days now just to fix the first part, and need these files soon so any ideas or information would be helpful.

Thanks

Open up the pc case, and look on the sticker ontop of your hdd about its manufacturer. Then go to its website and download the utility (free)

Three most common ones:
www.seagate.com >> Seagate Diagnostic
www.maxtor.com >> Powermax
www.westerndigital >> Data Lifeguard (i think)

You can obtain/borrow any winxp cd for your edition (home/pro) from a friend or others, provided that you have a valid licence sticker on your pc.. Otherwise, i think theres a download available from ms's website...

you can try using some recovery software if you need that data real bad

Thanks for the links. Only thing is, i have a seagate hdd and the site said the diagnostic software that i need is only for pentium systems, and i have AMD. Anyone know if that matters or if theres any other software i can use?

Thanks again

Since the intel line of cpu's are most common ones the general public know about, they are comonly used as reference.. even AMD has their own reference like +3800 etc (i think), so they can be run on any machine that passes the recomended specs

ok

I loaded up the diagnostic software. With it working i then did a full scan of the hdd and which said that there were bad sectors in the drive, do you want to replace them. I clicked yes, and it said that it failed to replace them. Any ideas

Thanks again

with a report of bad sectors i'd suggest slaveing the hdd on another pc and getting your importanat data off it.. just in case..

Ok left it on over night and is now finally finished. It said that there was no bad secotrs, even though the seagate diagnostic one said there was

HDD Regenerator will report no bad sectors because it has regenerated them, and is saying that there are now bad sectors on you drive.

So job done, I hope

pcaceit said:
HDD Regenerator will report no bad sectors because it has regenerated them, and is saying that there are now bad sectors on you drive.

So job done, I hope

Sorry it's another tool (Salvation Regeneration) that works as i discribed.

If it came back with no error's then maybe the software that checked your system has picked up corrupted data in the sector's and listed them as bad sectors! but i dont know is that is the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back