Black Screen (one before windows xp logo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im new here...well here it goes. My computer(Dell Xps Gen 4 600) wont boot windows anymore. Im running XP professional by the way. I have some stuff on my hardrive i rather not lose, but losing it wouldnt be a killer. I attempted a repair install but the problem is when i get to the screen where it asks you to choose a previously installed verison of windows, there is nothing to choose. Any help appreciated. (Safe Mode Doesent work)

Another thing / minor problem- I installed a second copy of windows xp and got into my hard drive via that. Problem is i cant get an internet connection or connect to my home network so that i can copy my shared files onto one of my other computers. If i could accomplish that then i would just wipe the hardrive and start anew.

Any suggestions are gladly welcomed. Im completely lost here. Im thinking my best route would be to connect to my home network through the second installtion of windows. Then transfer over my files and do a complete wipe. Only problem is that windows isnt picking up nay internet connection. (even though it is clearly connected to my router and the router is functional)

Just ran chkdsk /r in the recovery console and it said on or more errors were found on the volume. I dont know if that is fixable

Install a working primary master C hard drive with the OS loaded and set the suspect drive as a primary slave D. See if you can access the files on D then

Tmagic650 said:
Install a working primary master C hard drive with the OS loaded and set the suspect drive as a primary slave D. See if you can access the files on D then

If only i knew what that meant.. Sorry im not great with technical talk. Accessing the files on the hard drive isnt the problem. I can do that by loading up the second installation of windows xp instead of the original one that wont load up. From the second installation i have access to my entire hard drive. I jsut want to repair the original windows installation becase it has my msn emails stored somewhere in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back