Black screen with new ATI 1550 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently bought an ATI 1550 pro graphics card, my current system meets all requirements for the card BUT, after uninstalling the old drivers, installing the new driver when i boot up my computer all it displays is a blank, black screen, no boot screen,no nothing, just black. i put the old card back in and it works, but the new one will not. any help than you can give me is appreciated, thank you very much for your help.

EDIT-i just got CPU Z dell said that it was compatible but here are the specs

1. Motherboard - Dell Dimension 8100
2. Graphic interface - AGP version 2.0
3. Memory - 768 bytes/dual channel/ RDRAM
4. CPU - intel pentium 4
5. CPU Speed -core speed- 1483 MHz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - not a problem
7. Watt output/Amperage - not a problem

Did you connect the power power supply to the connector on the end of the card?

power supply

i have connected the power cord and the fan will spin also there is only a black screen, not even a No Signal so it is sending a signal its just the signal is nothing

I don't think this is a driver issue because it should at least post and you should see at least the motherboard or PC manufacturer logo at the very beginning since it runs on a different driver than Windows'. Is this an AGP card? What is your PC brand and model? What was your old graphics card?

On both cards compare the connection interface which slides into the AGP graphics card slot. The old card has two gaps in the slot while the new card has one gap. Although they are both AGP cards and the new one should work with AGP 8x/4x (and your motherboard is 4x), there could be an incompatibility problem with the two different types in Dell PCs.

I have an old Dell 8250 with an AGP 4x slot and recently had problems finding a replacement graphic card. The original was a Radeon 9700 Pro that finally failed. It has an interface with two gaps. When I tried to install an AGP card with only one gap, while it fit physically, it would not work. I finally bought a Radeon 9600 Pro with two gaps and it worked.

Now maybe I just had bad luck and my experience was unique but perhaps there is something about older Dells and the newer AGP interface.

I take it you have previously added/removed parts from your computer, because I'm pretty sure that you can't have 768 megabytes of memory in dual channel mode, unless you have two sticks of 384, or four sticks of 192. I just thought that was kinda funny.

Probably two sticks of 128 and two of 256. That RDRAM is expensive.

On my old Dell 8250 I had two sticks of 256 RDRAM and I later added two more 256 sticks for a total of 1024.

Thanks

ok i guess ill return it and try to look for a different one, thank you for your help.
BTW dude in India from dell said to update BIOS but that didnt soilve the problem.

Talking to people over in India is fun. I had a windows registration problem so instead of using the internet I had to call a center. Well the lady I got could barely speak english and couldn't say any numbers right. So after the like 20th time of me trying to understand what she was saying and asking her to repeat stuff, she just transferred me over to ???sales and marketing???. They transferred me back to her, I thought it was funny but she didn't think so... So the morale of the story is hope you connect to somebody in your home country, instead of elsewhere.

Overcourse sometimes incompatiblites just occur for no reason, I had a motherboard that hated two different models of HIS tech video cards, but loved another model of theirs, it's basicly just luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back