Blank monitor problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can give me a hand with a problem I've been having that I can't pinpoint. I have read quite a bit of stuff here before - just never posted. If you wouldn't mind bearing with me here...

It started about a week ago, I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary just using the internet, and the monitor started going off - bizarrely when I scrolled my mouse it would flick off. It would come back on and go off seemingly at random. Then after a while it just stayed off and I couldn't do anything about it. After a while I got a message on the screen 'Out of range'.

When I tried to reboot, the screen would come on normally until the 'Windows Loading' part - then it would go black again. I'm fairly sure it loaded Windows but I couldn't see it.

After a day or two of trying whatever I could think of to work out what was going on - I tried another monitor and cable and the same thing happened - it just randomly started working again, with no indication of it ever having happened.

Today, after about 3 days of normal functionality, it went off again - just straight off, no flickering or anything. So far I have only managed to get it to come up with anything for a second or two during bootup. Interestingly, it doesn't say "Out of Range", it now says 'No signal input'.

So, the things I could think of that might be the problem -

- gfx card - GeForce 7600GS - ~5 months old
although with 3 days of doing everything normal - games, etc. not sure if this could be the problem - but it seems the most likely...

- something else overheating - it was a very hot day today
but now its cooled down and everything's been off for hours and it still doesn't work so maybe not.

in terms of what else I've got - the CPU heatsink and fan I replaced a few weeks ago, and with a rear fan installed at the same time my case is a lot cooler than it used to be, so I'm a bit skeptical about that as well.

- power supply??? if they are faulty could this sort of thing happen? i really know very little about power supplies but it is one thing I haven't tested (don't know how)

- windows installation - the initial boot-up thing interested me (boot up normal until windows loading, then black) - but that doesn't happen anymore, but if anyone thinks a reformat might fix something I'm willing to try!

- HDD - in a seemingly unrelated problem, my old HDD (i've got 2x 250 GB) - the older one of the two sometimes disappears from My Computer, and is generally unreliable. - Obviously I'm not suggesting a faulty hard drive is causing the screen to no longer function - but I thought I'd mention it anyway just in case...

Other things I've done just for the sake of it - RAM tests, reducing the monitor refresh rates (when I could see what I was doing), stuff like that. Most of my system is fairly new (~6 months) - apart from the old HDD, and the CPU.

Thanks for getting to the end of my ranting, and I hope there is someone who has some ideas...
Cheers
Rob

Display drivers? The thing is OK at bootup and goes bananas when the OS (and the display drivers) load..

The HDD disappearing may hint of some general problem like the PSU, heat or motherboard.

Yeah, I had thought the same thing about display drivers... I updated everything and stuff - but now it no longer waits until loading windows for the monitor to go off, it just goes off at any time during boot-up, or it doesn't even come on in the first place, so it looks to me to be perhaps something else.

I'm not sure why it stopped working, then worked again for 3 days, then stopped working again.

I might try and get a lend of a graphics card off someone and see if the same thing happens - to try and narrow down the problem a bit more.

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back