Blank monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

astra

Hi guys.

A friend of mine brought his pc to me. I built it for him 11 months ago. It worked all that

time without a fault. A few days ago he switches his pc on, power and harddrive leds come

on, dvd-rw led blinks once too, led on the monitor turns green ...for 5 seconds, then

monitor goes back to standby. Pc doesn't continue to boot. I do not hear harddrives to spin

or anything. All fans inside keep on running. Led indicator near RAM slots, is on.

I have no clue what's up with the old horse.

I got another PSU, connected it only to motherboard. the same picture. No beeps for missing

floppies, or bad RAM or bad Video. No signal on monitor except that the led turns green for

a couple of seconds.

With the psu which is inside the case, I disconnected everything except RAM. Nothing new.
I swapped RAM slots, put it into new slots, try to do with one stick, then with another.

Nothing new.

First of all, I took off the Video, expecting motherboard to beep, Nothing.

I suspect something terrible happened to motherboard, or CPU.
Maybe something else. I don't know.

It is P4, 2.4GH with HP, 2x256 crucial, Gigabyte GA-8IK1100, chipset Intel 875P, 2 HD -

1200JB and 800JB, DVD-RW LG 4040B. Antec case and PSU 350W true power. on board Audio. Video

- Geforce 5600 128M MSI.

Any idea?

Try toggling the capslock or numlock, if the lights won't go off and on then it is not POSTing, since you seem to have removed everything from the problem except the mobo or CPU, one of those is the likely culprit.

Try another graphics card if possible, also do a bios reset (sometimes works).

Good Luck

When you say all the fan's spin are you including the CPU fan? If the CPU fan doesn't sufficiently cool the CPU, there is a saftey measure that shuts down the CPU and thus the computer. You could try an upgrade for the CPU fan and artic silver helps as well. Hopefully the CPU is still in good shape if the problem this is the problem, since in that case the CPU is shutting down as a protective measure.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Try toggling the capslock or numlock, if the lights won't go off and on then it is not POSTing, since you seem to have removed everything from the problem except the mobo or CPU, one of those is the likely culprit.

I agree. I think that it is a mobo. I removed CPU completely, it would not light caplocks on the keyboard or beep anyway. I would not beep if RAM is removed either. Video card works fine in another PC.

I reseted CMOS, by clear password jumper and by removing a battery for a minute. Didn't help. It simply refuses to bypass POST.
I will have to send the mobo back to the site where it was bought 11 months ago.

The only thing that I found to be odd, is that when I removed the CPU, it was not glued to heat sink. Both surfaces were completely dry. I do remember when I built the system, the heat sink had some sticky material at the location that is contacting with the CPU.

From your description, this is a case of immediate CPU-overheating. Get some arctic silver thermal paste, put it on and keep your fingers crossed.

I also think your PSU is a bit on the weak side with only 350W.
After reinstalling the CPU, try starting up with just the graphics card and your main harddisk. Keep adding hardware to see wether it still supplies enough power.
If any weakness shows up, go for a 550W Antec TruePower or equivalent Enermax.

It would not boot on even if only motherboard is connected - I mean I have a good PSU. I connected it to the mobo. So, the new PSU had to supply power only to mobo, video card, ram and CPU. Nothing happened. If I take off the CPU, still nothing happens. I am nothing NEW. The CPU doesn't kick in until some cirtain command from BIOS are executed. It must beep with CPU removed. Cap locks on the keyboard should blink ot get light. Nothing...only funs are running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back