Blizzard outlines gradual introduction of PvP combat in World of Warcraft Classic

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? In a recent forum post, community manager Bornakk said there won’t be a formal PvP system in WoW Classic at launch, as was the case when the game originally dropped back in 2004. You’ll still be able to PvP, mind you, there just won’t be an official system in place for it early on.

Blizzard last month laid out a plan that would involve the launch of six content phases for World of Warcraft Classic, a vanilla version of the popular MMORPG first announced at BlizzCon 2017.

Player-versus-player details were notably missing from the update, and for good reason – Blizzard was still evaluating options regarding PvP rewards as they changed over time with the original release. Now, we’ve got some more information to run with.

Phase two will add the Honor System which will introduce PvP Rank Rewards, Honorable Kills and Dishonorable Kills.

"The items you earn from the PvP Rank Rewards will be the versions from patch 1.12. Keep in mind though, just as it did originally, it will require a substantial time investment to rank up through the Honor System. For those interested in the Rank Rewards, earning epic gear will require consistent dedication over a long period of time as a top contributor on your realm."

Subsequent phases will focus on adding additional content. The new roadmap as it pertains to PvP is as follows:

Phase 1 (WoW Classic Launch)

• You can PvP one another in the world, but there is no tracking, and no formal rewards for doing so.

Phase 2

• Honor System (including Dishonorable Kills)
  • PvP Rank Rewards

Phase 3

• Alterac Valley (version 1.12)
  • Warsong Gulch

Phase 4

• Arathi Basin

Phase 6

• World PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands

What we don’t yet have is a timeline for when these content phases will arrive. Blizzard promised to provide more information as the updates draw closer.

Permalink to story.

I can't tell if I'm excited for WoW Classic, or just super bored of the current state of gaming. I have a feeling I might pick it up, have a couple of days of "Oh I remember this!" and then never play it again.

Ditto with Warcraft 3 Reforged.

I can't tell if I'm excited for WoW Classic, or just super bored of the current state of gaming. I have a feeling I might pick it up, have a couple of days of "Oh I remember this!" and then never play it again.

Ditto with Warcraft 3 Reforged.

I suspect that fully half the people being tempted by WOWC are in this boat. However, I am one of those rare souls who only got broadband for the first time a few months ago, and I was in my mid-to-late 30's when WoW debuted. I still played a bit but it was mostly single-player due to ultra-high pings - I never got the true WoW experience at all. Me and my friends of the same generation are rather disillusioned with the gaming scene these days. Yes, sometimes its nice to be free of the grind that was as big part of the old-school experience but its hard to beat the feeling of actual accomplishment that came with really paying your dues. If I was going to get back into WoW at the ground floor I'd prefer it be as it was during the lead-up to TBC, with the Plaguelands event going on. All I'd really ask for is a moderate graphics upgrade and back-porting of some of the TBC quality-of-life improvements (quest tracker and LFG tool in particular). I'm really not sure what the reception will be for Classic. It might well be that a lot of the people clamoring for it aren't serious or that their happy to play those older versions only on free servers. Blizzard must think the investment of time needed to retool the old content is worth the risk, and assuming they don't try to nickel-and-dime customers to death I wish WOWC the best of luck. Hopefully it won't cost as much as regular WoW or you'll have access to multiple BNET games with one subscription.

I started playing WoW about half way through vanilla. So I kinda missed some stuff, My guild took me through the raids and dungeons but I was being boosted rather than actually doing them. I'm looking forward to getting into it and being able to play for a few years. I'm just going to take my time and enjoy the journey knowing I have enough time to do everything I want and no rush to level, gear and do all content before the next expansion. It's going to be quite nice.

If Vanilla is a success and they decide to make a TBC server I will be even more pleased. I was a high level raider during that time and did a LOT of PVP too. For me that was a great expansion and I would honestly just stay there and need nothing further. So I hope Vanilla is a great success.

sometimes its nice to be free of the grind that was as big part of the old-school experience but its hard to beat the feeling of actual accomplishment that came with really paying your dues.

You're either going to love it or hate it. I remember how painful the last few levels were, about 56-60. There was so little to do and it was just grind, grind, grind - then you hit 60 and if you wanted an epic mount, you farmed for about 6 weeks to get the gold.

If I was going to get back into WoW at the ground floor I'd prefer it be as it was during the lead-up to TBC, with the Plaguelands event going on. All I'd really ask for is a moderate graphics upgrade and back-porting of some of the TBC quality-of-life improvements (quest tracker and LFG tool in particular).

Sadly it won't have the Quest tracker or LFG tools. Blizzard are using 1.12 as the overall basis for the game - that's the last patch of Classic with Ahn'Qiraj or Naxxramas (I forget which one!). "Quality of life" wasn't really something on Blizzard's radar at that point in the game's life lol

assuming they don't try to nickel-and-dime customers to death I wish WOWC the best of luck. Hopefully it won't cost as much as regular WoW or you'll have access to multiple BNET games with one subscription.

You may be pleased to know that a subscription to current WoW will allow you access to the Classic servers. I don't think there's a base cost for the game (afaik), but they've already confirmed that it's not a separate subscription.

Lots of info here: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/everything-we-definitively-know-about-classic/25299

With two kids, now I can only play mobas, where the "end game" comes in 30 minutes - at maximum. I can only play matches now.

MMORPG are a thing of the past for me now. Perhaps in 20 years when my two kids move away from my house...

Back