Blizzard: World of Warcraft's Shadowlands expansion is the 'fastest-selling PC game of...

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Despite what some of its detractors would have you believe, Blizzard's long-running MMO World of Warcraft is alive and well. Indeed, with the launch of its latest expansion, "Shadowlands," WoW is doing better than it has in over a decade, in terms of both sales and sustained player numbers.

Shadowlands, for the unaware, is the first expansion in WoW history to take players to Azeroth's (the universe WoW is set in) afterlife. In the expansion, players meet up with fallen heroes of old and can choose to align themselves with one of the Shadowlands' four factions, known as "Covenants."

These Covenants work together to preserve the balance in the afterlife, and each has its own set of beliefs and goals. There are the honorable (but set-in-their-ways) Kyrians of holy Bastion, the warlike Necrolords of Maldraxxus, the nature-loving druids of Ardenweald, and the vampiric nobility of Revendreth.

Whether it's Shadowlands unique setting, or simply the many gameplay changes it has brought to WoW, players are flocking to the expansion in droves. As of the expansion's first day of availability, Shadowlands managed to sell over 3.7 million copies.

Blizzard says this milestone has made Shadowlands the "fastest-selling PC game of all time industry-wide," at least as far as day-one sales go. We're not sure whether or not an expansion should qualify as a game, but with a minimum price tag of $40 and dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of playable content, we suppose it's close enough.

Some other notable WoW metrics released by Blizzard today include the game reaching and sustaining its "highest number of players on monthly or longer-term subscriptions" compared to the same period for any other expansion in the past decade.

Blizzard also says players have spent more time in WoW this year than any other year over the same time period. This is still impressive, but it's also to be expected -- the Covid-19 pandemic has probably encouraged more people to stay home in 2020 than any year prior.

If you want to take Shadowlands out for a spin yourself, it's available for purchase through Blizzard's Battle.net client. The Base Edition is $40, but there are also Heroic and Epic editions for $60 and $80, respectively -- these come with some extra cosmetics and a max-level XP boost for one character of your choice.

If it's your first time playing WoW, also note that you'll need to purchase game time separately to access the latest content, which will run you $15 per month.

Permalink to story.

To me, the entire Warcraft is best summed up by South Park Season 10, Episode 8 - Make Love, Not Warcraft. If you haven't watched it, then you shouldn't even be here.

This guy definitely has watched it...

Last edited:
We're not sure whether or not an expansion should qualify as a game
Sure-- count away. But counting its "one-day sales figures" is absurd, given that probably 90%+ of all buying customers were set to download it on Day 1.

To me, the entire Warcraft is best summed up by South Park Season 10, Episode 8 - Make Love, Not Warcraft. If you haven't seen it, then you shouldn't even be here.

This guy definitely has seen it...

Did you win with that costume?

Notice they said in the last decade, so it did better than the dark ages of Cataclsym, Mists of Panderia, Legion, and Battle for Azeroth, but still isn't competing with Wrath of the Lich King, id be curious if they've even reached numbers that Burning Crusade had, they are also ignoring the fact that at least 1/3 of the players are actually in classic not in Shadowlands.

...they are also ignoring the fact that at least 1/3 of the players are actually in classic not in Shadowlands.
I agree. I only play Classic, as I feel like I’m missing out on the story. I’m also surprised by how many people are always in the lower level zones. I guess that’s what happens when you don’t get that free buff to “level infinity” for each new expansion.

Notice they said in the last decade, so it did better than the dark ages of Cataclsym, Mists of Panderia, Legion, and Battle for Azeroth, but still isn't competing with Wrath of the Lich King, id be curious if they've even reached numbers that Burning Crusade had, they are also ignoring the fact that at least 1/3 of the players are actually in classic not in Shadowlands.

If we’re speaking to total player count - we wouldn’t know exact numbers, but the new boost of players is being attributed to SL, not Classic. Knowing this, we could calculate:

In the scope of the “last 10 years”, WoW capped out on its highest player count 10yrs ago (Q4 2010/Q1 2011 launch of Cata @ 12M and 11.4M active players respectively.

To be more precise, “at the same period in any other expansion in the last decade” - this would indicate that they’re between roughly 11.4-12M active players, if that sentence were to be factual coming from Blizz. In this context, they are currently beating TBC and roughly matching most of WOTLK’s player counts.

If their statement is accurate, they’re kicking absolute @$$.

If we’re speaking to total player count - we wouldn’t know exact numbers, but the new boost of players is being attributed to SL, not Classic. Knowing this, we could calculate:

In the scope of the “last 10 years”, WoW capped out on its highest player count 10yrs ago (Q4 2010/Q1 2011 launch of Cata @ 12M and 11.4M active players respectively.

To be more precise, “at the same period in any other expansion in the last decade” - this would indicate that they’re between roughly 11.4-12M active players, if that sentence were to be factual coming from Blizz. In this context, they are currently beating TBC and roughly matching most of WOTLK’s player counts.

If their statement is accurate, they’re kicking absolute @$$.

I wouldn't trust them, and again classic has alot of players, during the golden age wow wasn't competing with itself, its telling that to hit numbers similar to cata they had to also have classic going.

Back