Blizzard's 'World of Warcraft Classic' servers go live on August 26

Polycount

Staff

Much like the developers of RuneScape (Jagex) learned back in 2013 when they launched "Old School RuneScape" (a nostalgic, 2007-themed version of the browser MMO), World of Warcraft developer Blizzard has found that there's a significant demand for a similar "Classic" server.

After years of allowing private servers to fill that void, Blizzard caved in to that demand at Blizzcon 2017, finally unveiling "World of Warcraft Classic" to the public. The game, the developer promised, would be just as it was around the time it first launched over a decade ago.

Following a public demo at Blizzcon 2018, Blizzard has now finally announced the launch date for Classic servers: they will be going live on August 26 for North America and the UK, and August 27 for the rest of the world. You'll be able to create your character a bit earlier than that on August 13.

Whether or not Blizzard will follow Jagex's lead and roll out fresh new updates that remain true to the Classic experience -- perhaps via an Old School RuneScape-like player polling system -- remains to be seen. It's possible that the developer will simply re-launch a couple early expansions or updates, such as Naxxramas or The Burning Crusade.

Regardless, players will discover Blizzard's plans for themselves in the months following Classic's official release. We're certainly excited to see what the studio has up its sleeve, and we'll keep you updated as we learn more.

Permalink to story.

Seems like releasing it on the latter part of summer is a terrible idea but at least I am not a student anymore so makes no difference to me personally.

Already have a full time job, don't need another.

If you want to be the top of the top, yeh sure. But I know I don't have time or interest to be flexing my pixel epeen anymore, casual dungeon runs and nostalgia trips with IRLs is the only use for this.

I'm more interested to see if this will last or will it die in a year as the hype and nostalgia wear off.

I'm more interested to see if this will last or will it die in a year as the hype and nostalgia wear off.

Oh you can be certain it will die off, it's given. You will have higher influx of players each time there is downtime in retail content, so you will have people flogging to Classic. Initially tho, at least for the first 6 months it will be quite strong.

Hopefully lot of private server players will play it, but many play PServers because of no monthly fee.

Classic is wanted, but not more than 20k to 50k monthly players past nostalgia. Which is still HUGE.

If you want to be the top of the top, yeh sure. But I know I don't have time or interest to be flexing my pixel epeen anymore, casual dungeon runs and nostalgia trips with IRLs is the only use for this.
[07:15] LF2M Healer and Tank.
[07:30] LF2M Healer and Tank.
[08:30] LF2M Healer and Tank.

[07:15] LF2M Healer and Tank.
[07:30] LF2M Healer and Tank.
[08:30] LF2M Healer and Tank.

Healers are not that much of a problem to find, tanks however. Luckily during the initial release there will be a great deal of players and if you play with IRLs then that reduces the problem.

Vanilla is a social experience, not a solitude of LFG. If you only have 30 minutes to play, you wouldn't be going a dungeon anyway. You need 1 hour for the dungeon (if you good) and 30 minutes for finding the person/getting there. Love that, it's what makes the experience special.

Just roll a guild/irls and GG

Back