Blue filenames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnWarierMage224

Hi all,

Kind of a weird problem that's bugging me... for some reason, certain files show up in a blue font in windows explorer rather than the standard black color. File extension doesn't matter... it could be a word file, a system critical file, anything...

Any explanation?
It's not affecting my system, but this just started happening out of the... pardon the pun... blue.

PS: I attached a pic of this... sorry for the img quality, but basically if you look @ the top of the photo, it's black text for names and the rest is all blue...

Thanks,

-'Mage

Attachments

• BlueFont.JPG
    BlueFont.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 10
Open Folder Options in the Control Panel. Select the View tab. Try toggling "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color".

great, thanks!

However, what's weird is that I don't have drive compression turned on... does NTFS automatically compress the drive?

EDIT: I mean that if I go to my computer, right click on C, and say Properties, the drive compression checkbox isn't turned on... unless there's another way to turn it on?

*confused*

With NTFS, file's can be compressed on a per-file basis. If you right-click on on of these blue files & select Properties -> Advanced it'll indicate whether its encrypted or compressed. Windows'll do it automatically for certain files so it's nothing to worry about or anything you may have selected unknowingly causing this - it's by design.

Much of what is automatically compressed is Uninstall info. for Hotfixes - basically files you're unlikely to require in everyday use. Only in older versions of Windows was it necessary to use drive compression for everything, or not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back