Blue Screen During Bootup Checking Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
EVERY TIME I BOOT UP THE COMPUTER NOW I GET A BLUE SCREEN THAT WANTS TO CHECK THE HARD DRIVES FOR ERRORS EVEN IF I LET IT CHECK THEM THE NEXT TIME I BOOT IT COMES BACK I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO SHUT THIS OFF

pull the plug

:grinthumb ......hehe...............probably just re-install windows.............let it repair itself

You are shutting down Windows properly, when you turn off the computer ??? (dunno whether your a n00b or not?)

How long does scandisk run? Does it check for "bad sectors"?

This may be an indication of a failing hard drive. Whenever Windows has a problem accessing the hard disk, it will force you to run scandisk the next time you restart and scan for bad sectors.

My money is on a failing hard drive. However, it could just be file system corruption. If you can follow the steps in the refered to microsoft knowledge base article, try that. If you can't even get into recovery console itself without a blue screen, then its time to install windows onto another HDD and fit your existing as slave and copy all of the data off.

Could be a dodgy hard drive or ide cabling. This would cause write errors to your disk which will trigger a disk check each time you start. If this is the case, then I would also expect that you get frequent lock-ups with your OS, requiring you to reset your system.

Try reseating all the cables and running the system file checker to check for damaged files. You might also want to run a SMART check on your disk, which you should be able to download from the maker's website.

Yeah, the cable could be rubbish or the drive could be overheating.

There's been many faults with the computers where I have assumed the worst, only to find that it was infact something dumb like a cable was blocking some fan, etc. So open your machine and have a good look, and run it with the box open for a while if you have not already done so.

get this i ran norton disk doctor ysterday before posting here and this morning i bootup my computer and no hard drive check screen and to answer someones question it checked 3 out of 5 test when it ran check disk yesterday whilt booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back