Boot Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm throwing together a ****ty computer for my mother and when I initially put it together I didn't have a heatsink or fan. But, I wasn't attempting anything other than making sure the power came on. It came on all right and then immediatly shut off. I found out that the processor and motherboard I have are not smart enough to shut down the computer before it damages itself.

I sure do love bad hardware.

So I bought another CPU and put it in. Heatsink / fan. Hit the power button and I get no post test, manual says I should get a beep. Screen goes dark, because Im using a KVM, keyboard and mouse get power, tested without the KVM, the fans spin, lights come on. I also tested the monitor on the computer without using the KVM.

Its a mach speed MSNV-939 with a AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8 ghz 128kb 1000 mhz fsb socket 939.and my question is simply: did I blow the motherboard as well? Or the actual CPU socket? I'm 100% confused and have never seen or replicated this problem with my own hardware.

I also have no parts to play with.

Look elsewhere... loose cable? Other stuff you may have done inadvertently...
I would pull the CMOS batter to force a BIOS reset... then use your logic cap while rested and relaxed... do not try to fix it while you are stressed.
If the turn-on was as brief as I suspect with the first CPU, that should not have damaged anything... the board should not have blown if it was on less than a minute or so.
Did you check the power supply? Can you see the PSU blades turn 1/4 turn when it first comes on?
It is something obvious, but fixable.
Let us know how it turns out.

I can't even get stressed right now because I'm on vacation. Wish I could because I work best under stress.

I also don't think its something obvious. Its not a power issue, in my opinion, this I feel sure of. Everything has power, yet I get no POST. I left it, the computer, on just to check if the processor was heating up enough to melt the glue and it did...

I've moved the ram around, verified it was in DIMM 1, took the video card out, removed the hd and the cd-rom completely out of the system. Hell I even removed the processor and I'm still getting the same fault, no POST, nothing. Pulled the battery with nothing new.

Side note: the motherboard manual says that with my fault, I need to apply even pressure on the dimm.

I've never had this happen before. I've built my share of computers so I'm not completely novice. But, then again I've never blown a CPU in a 30 second "check the power".

I'm going to order another board. Because I really don't think this one works anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back