Boot file

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV30

Hi,

I have a primary 40GB drive as drive D and another as C. I want to format C and use it for backup, while my OS and programs are installed on D. Here's my boot cfg:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Drive D" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE

I would like to automatically boot from drive D. However, on startup I get the selection of Windows default (drive C) or Drive D as I had edited it to boot from drive D.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, thanks

Just open boot.ini and remove all references to c:\..
Just leave the D:\ and you should be good to go.. (You might want to set d:\ as default (just copy what is after c:\ to do so...)

If you can't see boot.ini, go into explorer, select tools, then folder options...
From there choose view, and then select "view all files"... That will enable you to view the boot.ini....

If this doesn't make any sense, please say so... I'm quite drunk right now, but I hope you'll understand what I've said........

Ahh, you do seem out of your mind. ;) There is no reference to C: in the boot.ini and that's my boot.ini that I posted. Should I flip the D drive line to replace the default line? Sounds like I should.

From where does the deafult thing actually boot?
ecause the line says rdisk(1) which should be the second HD by my logic. The non-default says rdisk(0) which should be the first HD.

It normally boots from D, the master drive. So I'll insert the D drive into default and delete the line under operating system?

Originally posted by NV30
It normally boots from D, the master drive. So I'll insert the D drive into default and delete the line under operating system?

Yes, that should do the trick :)

Just remember to make a backup of the boot.ini before you change it....

And, well... Sorry for noticing your boot.ini....:)

After a bit of tweaking the file, it now automatically boots from D with no operating selection shown. Thanks guys, works well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back