Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: Hard Disk Missing operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
for some reason whenever I try to boot from the cd drive this error keeps on showing. I went into BIOS and changed the boot sequence but it still shows this error. Much help would be appreciated.

Are you certain what you want to do is possible? Are you trying to do an install of windows by booting from the Install CD?
It appears your cd-drive is not being detected? Does it show up as a drive when you look at the BIOS. Is it in the correct order? Are the jumpers correct? Is the EIDE Cable in good shape with no pulled wires and no damaged plugs or sockets.

raybay said:
Are you certain what you want to do is possible? Are you trying to do an install of windows by booting from the Install CD?
It appears your cd-drive is not being detected? Does it show up as a drive when you look at the BIOS. Is it in the correct order? Are the jumpers correct? Is the EIDE Cable in good shape with no pulled wires and no damaged plugs or sockets.

Whenever I boot my computer it says an ntfs.sys file is missing so I burned Knoppix as an image on a cd but when i put the cd into the drive it says that boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: Hard Disk Missing operating system. I cant seem to to fix it

If you have a Windows 98 floppy, run FDisk on the hard drive, remove the partition, reboot, install a new partition, reformat, reboot. Format the hard drive as Fat 32 and try again.
Is this a large drive... over 127 GB? Do you have the latest BIOS installed for your motherboard or computer?
Double check your jumpers. Your CD ROM drive is on a separate EIDE cable, Right? And jumpered as master. Your hard drive should be on an 80-conductor, 40 connector EIDE cable, and jumpered as Master (my preference) or Cable Select.
Double check all your cable and visually check all your jumpers on all drives.
Check your BIOS number against the latest BIOS available from the motherboard site or computer site.
If possible, try the hard drive in a second computer. New drives usually don't fail, of course, but some are damaged in shipping if the delivery guy drops the box of the end of the truck.

I checked all the connection physcially and everything was connected properly. Could it be a damaged hard drive? I used the Windows XP Boot Floppy Disks and I tried to reparied it using that method but it says that my hard drive could not be detected. My computer's Os is XP Home edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back