boot up error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been experiencing a problem when I boot up. The windows screen has a smaller window inside it sometimes with text in there and an OK box at the bottom. This happened after i was viewing a suspect website. I have run a Analyze.exe scan and here's the result (attached). Anyone got a clue? How about you Howard from Colne?
Dave from St Helens

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

O16 - DPF: {072D3F2E-5FB6-11D3-B461-00C04FA35A21} (CFForm Runtime) - http://212.100.229.166/CFIDE/classes/CFJava.cab

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: IE Component Categories cache daemon - {553858A7-4922-4e7e-B1C1-97140C1C16EF} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ieframe.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your computer.

If you still have the same problem, please let me know exactly what is says in the popup box that appears.

Regards Howard :)

Boot Up

Hi Howard,
Thanks for your speedy reply.
I have performed the actions you suggested and this is the resulting text within the box. 覐
輘
Ʋc:\windows\system32\themeui.dll
Incidentally it appeared before the welcome screen this time and usually the text will only consist of the two small squares??
Hope you can help.
Many thanks
Dave

I have sent you a fresh copy of the themeui.dll file via email. Unzip the attached file and place the themeui.dll into your C:\windows\system32 folder. Reboot your system and see if that helps.

Hi Howard
Sorry to sound like a nerd, but it wont let me move the file there. It's saying that the file already exists

That`s probably due to the fact it`s a protected OS file.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Now see if it`ll let you replace the file. It may ask you if you want to replace it, click yes. Then, rehide your protected OS files and reboot your system.

Thanks a million

Thanks Howard
That seems to have done the trick. It's booting up fine now.
I've disabled the viewing of hidden files again. Is there anything else that I need to do?
I wish I knew exactly I was doing when following your instructions. I am keen on computing and as an ex TV/Video engineer I would like to get into it a bit more without having to post to guys like yourself all the time.
Incidentally I used to have calls to make around Colne with my last job. I was a copier engineer for Panasonic on the Lancs C.C. contract. we were made redundant last year, so I don't get up there so often now.
Thanks once again.
If I have any more probs I'll post you.
Regards
Dave.

That`s good news, you don`t need to do anything else.

Sorry to hear of your redundancy. I hope you got sorted with another job.

pst: NOBODY is redundant; EVER!

It's poor business planning that's redundant. :(
Gobalization is the pits for the local economy.
ok, ok, so I rant -- I got bit too in 2003 so it's personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back