Boot up problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, last night my computer restarted by itself 3 times, the first 2 times it restarted and came back on... the 3rd time it hung at bootup (it didnt even do its first beep).

i have an amd 1ghz thunderbird cpu, asus geforce 2 v7700 ti deluxe 64mb 4x agp card and an amptron K7- 830XLM mainboard.

i've taken my computer apart, cleaned it up, checked over the graphics card really good, i installed a brand new 480watt power supply to see if it was a bad power supply (and it wasnt). i've also disconnected all of my IDE devices to see if they were causing it to hang at bootup, and it still does :S

i'm running out of idea's here, could it be my cpu or my mainboard?

thanks in advance,
TheMadMonkey

If your computer is hanging during POST, then it certainly seems that you have a hardware problem. It is likely to be your mainboard, or cpu, as you have said, and I would tend to suspect the mainboard as more likely.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot more you can do when your system won't boot and you've already checked all your connections and tried removing all unnecessary devices.

By the sounds of things, your mainboard has failed, and so your only option would be to find a suitable replacement.

Check all your connections again, reseat your memory modules, and check your cpu has its heatsink properly attached, before you commit to replacing the mainboard. You can also try resetting your CMOS (bios), though I don't think that will help much.

thanks for the reply :grinthumb

another thing i forgot to add is when it hangs, i get a "no signal input" message on my monitor... but my graphics card seems to be fine...

monday i'm probably going to order a new mainboard, if my computer starts working again... cool, if not, then its probably my cpu (which, right now, i kind of doubt its my cpu)

again, thanks for your reply!

EDIT: my keyboard and mouse dont even load at bootup either... :(

If it says "no signal input" it has to be something with the card. If its not the card and it is in the agp slot, then the slot has gone bad somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back