Boot up problems with a newly built system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got done putting together my first homemade system (specifics below). I have added just the bare-minimum: motherboard, with 1 stick of 512M RAM. Using on-board video. No HD or Floppy drives attached. I powered on the system just to see if I could get to the BIOS. The system does power on: an led on the mother board lights up, cpu fan is spinning. But that's it. I don't see the bios screen (or anything else) on the display. reinstalled the motherboard in the case, reinstalled the cpu and fan, double checked all the connections, replaced the cmos new battery. Components are all brand new. Any ideas?

System Info:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK Socket 478 Intel 865G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Prescott 2.80EGHz
Memory: Kingston 256M PC3200

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Krishna

did you check to make sure that you monitor is hooked up securely and right? Did you remember to put thermal grease on the cpu? last time, I had this problem, turns out that my cpu has died so I don't see anything but the fan will be turning. Touch your heatsink to see if it gets hot. if it doesn't then chances are it's dead.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sorry for asking this but, you did use the standoffs(spacers that stop the mobo from touching the case) between your mobo and the case didn`t you?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Responses to the questions asked:
1) Monitor connections are secured. I even tried a different monitor that works on another system I have

2) The motherboard is resting on top of three plastic pins which were already installed at the bottom of the case and match three holes in the motherboard. Those pins are keeping the motherboard from touching the case

3) CPU package that I bought (from intel via online retailer) came with a fan and heatsink. At the bottom of the heatsink there is a patch of gray (though not particularly greasy) stuff. The assembly instructions did not mention applying any extra thermal grease. When I turn on the computer, after a few minutes, the heat sink does get warm. I would not describe it as hot.

Krishna

you say you are using onboard video but the specs for the board you specified dont list any onboard video. it does have an 8X AGP slot though. maybe you should try a video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back