boot utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

ok I've decided and i'm gunna help my neighbor boot his dell, I know how to get to his boot utility, but I dunno what to do from there, I just want to boot his HDD without losing the windows OS, because it is infested with viruses and junk everywhere could anyone post a link to a tutorial or something thanks very much :)

We need more info (or at least I do :bounce: )

What version of windows? And exactly what happens when you try to boot the computer into windows in it's current state?

May as well give us his computer specs as well.

what I mean by boot is just wipe it clean everything except for the OS, he has windows xp pro 2002, on a dell about 3 years old, specs 512 mb of ram 2.4 g p4, 4x agp bus, geforce mx400 or w/e i forget sorry.

I wondered if it was possible to wipe the hdd without getting rid of the os cuz he lost his cd.

Let me make sure I understand what you need here.

Right now the computer works (you can load into windows etc.) but it is full of viruses and spyware that you want to clean out, right?

If I am understanding you up to that point, then what I think you are asking is how to REFORMAT the hard drive (erase everything on it) and re-install windows?

Unfortunately, it can not be done without the CD. You'll lose all your files on the HDD, including your OS.

I guess the best thing to do (assuming you can't get the XP cd) would be to run some anti-virus software and clean it up as much as possible.

Then use the information in THIS AMAZING thread to clean up all the spyware and other junk in the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back