booting 2 os

Status
Not open for further replies.

wacind

hi
im pretty new to this forum, however i know a bit of what i am trying to do, just having a hard time doing it

ive read through some posts about this issue, but couldnt really find anything exactly like my problem

on one of my computers, i have a single hard disc with 2 partions of equal size, c and d drives.
on c drive i have winxp home and on d drive i have winxp prof.

when i start the computer, a screen comes up where i choose which os to go into

i have been using winxp prof and thus want to remove home edition that is on the c drive.

however when i look for the boot.ini file, only the c drive or the home edition seems to have one. i cant find the boot.ini file in the d drive.

so im not sure if i want to change the boot.ini file

any help would be appreciated
thanks

There is always only one boot.ini file used and only one bootloader installed for windows. You have to change the boot.ini. No going around that.

Or you could format the c: drive and then repair the xp pro installation.

if i format the c drive, then repair the xp pro installation, will that cause me to loose all my files on the d drive ?

On the C-drive you can get rid of your XP-Home very simply.
Boot into XP-Pro.
Copy any personal files that you want to save from the C-drive into a new (let's call it C-Save) directory. Then delete all other directories, but keep your hands off all files in the root-directory of C. These are the likes of boot.ini, boot.bak, ntldr, cmldr, ntdetect.com.
Don't know if XP still has autoexec.bat, config.sys and msdos.sys, all with filesize = 0. Keep these as well.
You can delete any other files you find in the root, like .log and .txt etc.

No need to format the C-drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back