booting from oem recovery cd question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I just read the missing ntdlr thread, and noted the problem of having rebuilt a dell machine with new hardware, and only having an oem recovery disk for XP.

I don't have such a disk, I have a normal xp cd, and I no longer talk to my father half as much as I used to, but....

My dad does have an oem recovery disk (although not a dell one). When I explored it, it contained pretty much the same files and structure as a normal xp cd, apart from the fact that it had one or tw extra.

Would it then be possible to create the XP setup floppies, load them, tell it to start installing windows, and insert a recovery cd when prompted for the installation cd? would it work? Just a random thought that interested me that's all. I'd try it if I had one.

The recovery CD is machine/vendor specific and usually the only "extra" on it are the machine specific drivers and maybe some vendor specific bonus software.

You can install XP from the vanilla CD on any PC compatible (meeting minimum requirements) machine unless you have a very exotic storage solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back