Booting WXP from external drive or download its content onto second HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

From my out-of-work PC 800 Scaleo Fujitsu-Siemens (Motherboard/RIMM RAM issues) I have its 60GB HD connected as Drive G:\ via 3.5" External Drive Enclosure to laptop VAIO VGN-FS285M.

My question:

I) Is it possible to have the content of drive G:\ either downloaded\transferred into VAIO Drive D:\ (43GB) currently almost empty and operate this HD in a dual booting system with VAIO Drive C:\ or

II) leaving all the folders as they are as drive G:\ but being able to select this drive as alternative to drive c:\ ?

In other words, when booting VAIO before going straight into Windows XP I'd like to have the black screen offering me the OS selection.

I understand that switching from one OS into another without first logging out and in again could also be possible. In this case both OS's are Windows XP Home Edition+SP2 +all updates.

Any conclusive help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

It can be possible. First you move the data, then you have to reinstall Windows in a repair mode.

hi raybay,

this is my 3rd attempt to reply. each time I had tried before my message didn't go through.

First of all thank you for prompt reply.

My further questions: have I got first to format drive d:\ which has only empy VAIO folders? and should I rename drive d:\>>> g:\ i.e. giving to it the same letter of my source drive?

What do you think about cloning?

Thank you for any further advice.

With kind regards,

carlodigiorgio

The main problem is that little is possible using the Sony OEM verison of Windows that came with the machine.
If you use WXP Professional, Full Version, you have much more control over your machine and Windows.
Then I would also take a look a the disk managment software at Acronis (www.acronisc.com) which gives you much better control over partitions, drives, etc.
However, you do have a certain amount of control over drives in the Administrative Tolls section of the Control Panel. Look in Computer Management, then in Disk Management.
Bottom line. What you want to do is difficult with Sony software, at best, and is most easily done with a good partition manager, rather than Windows itself. There are others besides Acronis, but Acronis is easily downloaded. You might want to look at Partition Magic now owned by Symantec, System Commander, and perhaps others.

unreadable messages on booting attempts

Hi raybay,

I have another question: how and wherefrom can I retrieve the ultra fast messages appearing and immediately disappearing when a booting try fails. I can spot the XP logo then a message on a blue screen and then black without booting success.
As those messages must have a meaning to understand the problem I'd like to find them. It's important for my learning process to fully understand how Windows work.

Thanks.

Regards,carlodigiorgio

my posts dont appear on the thread when drafted on "quick reply".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back