Bootmagic, Win98, Win 2000 and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I initially had Win 98 and Linux 9. After that, I installed Win 2000 and it wiped off LILO. Then, hoping to get back Linux, I installed Bootmagic. Now I can see Linux, but it doesn't boot. Could you please inform how I can get back Linux without re-installing. (BTW, I've a Linux CD with me....). I don't mind if the loader is Bootmagic or LILO as long as I have all 3 OSs intact.
Thanks in advance,
Vikas

I'd go back to LILO or even switch to GRUB if I were you. Just boot from linux CD and use rescue option. Before you do that read up a bit of documentation on how to run your set-up. You probably have had your linux boot sector installed along with LILO in the MBR; once it was wiped out it's gone, but don't despair yet; boot linux CD and run rescue shell - then install LILO again. You will probably have to modify /etc/lilo.conf to accomodate your 3 OSes; Can you post how is(are) your hard drive(s) partitioned? I could be more specific about lilo configuration if I could see that.

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I did: (Link -> http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/grubrestore)

1) Used to Linux CD I had to boot in rescue mode.
2) Create a GRUB boot floppy disk using:
dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
3) Boot with the above floppy. It will bring you to grub prompt.
4) root (hd1, 4); -> 2nd hard disk, 4th partition.
5) setup (hd0); -> MBR of 1st disk.
6) Reboot and you get the old GRUB menu. I'd only one entry for Windows.
If you choose that, it will again prompt you to choose between Win 98 and 2000.

In fact, I don't think we've to do 2). We can directly do grub after booting from CD and proceed.

Thanks again,
Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back