Bootup failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new video card for my computer. a HIS X1650Pro. When I read the user manual on the enclosed CD it told me to uninstall my present video drivers, turn the computer off then install the new video card, power up and then install the new drivers.

After installing the new video card it would not boot up. The monitor is just blank. I thought maybe something was wrong the new new video card so I took it back out and reinstalled the old video card and turn the machine back on. Monitor is still blank. The little light that normally flashes for the hardrive while the computer is booting up does not light up now.

Inside the computer the fans are running and the harddrives are running, but nothing on the screen.

Help please.

I would check inside your case to make sure you didn't knock a cable loose, possibly on your primary harddrive.

No beeps

There are no beeps when I try to boot up. The harddrives spin, but do not blink like normal. All the fans turn on. I checked the harddrive cables and everything seems to have a solid connection.

I would try resetting the motherboard CMOS. Most motherboards I've worked with have a dedicated hardware jumper which is normally left open; closing the connection resets the motherboard. Consult the documentation for your specific board. If this brings back your display, upon reboot, you will have to run the BIOS setup program.

Did you connect the power cable to the video card (If it requires it)?

BTW, Welcome to TS!!

Hey,

I think you should take out the new video card and put the old one back in. Then leave the HD in but take the connections for the cdrom/dvd/burner out. Then take all the memory sticks out and turn on the computer. It should beep, notifying that you are missing memory. If the computer doesnt beep then you probably have some other issues, like the motherboard or CPU or the PSU or something else. If the computer does beep then put one memory stick back in and then turn the compter on, it should atleast let you into bios. After that you already know what to do.

Hope this helps.

Tried this suggestion. I did get the right amount of beeps indicating missing memory. When I put a memory stick back in, it still would not send any signal to the monitor.

Larry we share the same problem. I am on my second cpu from amd. You can strip your pc and test it piece by piece, but, if it is a mobo or cpu and you do not have spares (!) laying around I guess you bite the bullet and have a shop check it out. I see no recourse. One thing to remember, hot swapping is never a good thing to do to anything inside your case. UNPLUG IT, and wait for the green light to go off. Good luck, Dale in Kent Washington

I wonder if your new graphics card was too much for your power supply, pushed it over the edge and killed it. ATI recommends a minimum of 350W for the Radeon X1650. Do you have another you can use to test?

Hey, I am having a similar problem with my HIS X1650 graphics card. I have a good enough pcu and followed the proper procedures for installation. However, after I get into windows, my monitor will go into standby and sometimes brings up a messege saying to set resolution lower. I tried monkeying with the resolution, but that didn't seem to accomplish anything. I have tried about everything and I think there is something really simple i must be missing.

if your monitor is LCD you may need to download drivers for it.

See if there is a setting on your monitor's OSD to reset it or something. If not, get into display properties > settings and set the resolution to 1024x720 and colour to medium. See if that helps.

Also, check your monitor cable is correctly attached, and no bent or missing pins (apart from 3 pins.. i can't remember what ones tho..)

how can he do that if he gets no screen at all? =)
if you have another monitor laying around, try your pc on that one. btw, what kind of power supply do you have?

I have a CRT monitor, and my settigns are at those standards already. I also just noticed that i have some pinkish purple lines going down my computer screen when looking at this page. My power supply is @-power switching power supply 500W. I am also getting one beep as I start up my computer. It seems as though I can run general applications at this point, such as i'm doing now, but I believe if I was to open a game, it would probably shut down again. Also, sometimes it has trouble even getting in to my desktop from the user select screen. I am not sure what that is either. I have posted my other tech specs in my profile as well. Thank you guys so much for all of your information; I greatly appreciate the help. I don't feel like paying some guy 50 dollars on top of having to buy a new operating system for him to install my graphics card. Right now my copy of windows is a downloaded version, it was set up by my neighbor and works well. I know that is most likely not my problem seeing as how I have no issues with my old Nvidia fx5400.

so its more of a problem with any sort of intensive graphical application that you loose visual?

have you tried with another monitor just to rule it out?

Try my games guide, and post your results on the sensor page..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back