Bought some new memory, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a question that I hope can be answered because I've got no clue.
I bought a stick of 512 mb today to upgrade my current rig. The guy from the computershop told me it was okay if I mixed this new Transcend 512mb stick with the two 256mb kingston valueRAMs I already have. I got home, plugged the stick in one of my available slots and started up, no problem. It immediatly recognised the new ram, so I figured everything was alright. I played a couple of games, but the funny thing is I don't experience ANY difference from what I had before, boot-time included. A game like Oblivion, which really sucked the life out of my old memory, was still like that. Now I read the sticky thread in this forum about upgrading ram which said mixing brands and speeds is not a good idea, so perhaps this is the problem? I really don't know alot about computer hardware, but I do know there should be a difference.

specs:
P4 3,0 Ghz
2x256mb Kingston ValueRAM DDR400
1x512mb Transcend DDR400
ASUS P4P800 SE Mainboard
WinXPh+SP2

Huis said:
A GeForce FX 5700LE
That right there is most likly your problem. Recommend video card for running Oblivion is atleast a 6800GT. Now you are able to run it still but even with all the eye candy turned off and everything set to low it is most likely still going run like crap.

It is, it is, but oblivion is not the point. Actually I got all my questions answered about that about 2 hours ago on the ElderScrolls forum :p
The point is, I dont see a difference in anything, games, startup time etc. while I'm lead to believe I should

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The guy at the computer shop, is talking out of his backside.

You should never mix brands/sizes/speeds of ram.

See HERE for troubleshooting ram.

BTW. JImbo is correct about your card not being upto the job.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Where you are looking at for your performance increase your memory isn't what is giving you the biggest hit right now. The biggest bottle neck is still that card. Upgrade that and you will start seeing some differences.

like my sticky says, mixing memory may have weird results if it works. At best it will work fine, at worst, you could do damage.

i have mixed samsung RAM with crucial RAM and have never experienced and issues

specs:
AMD Sempron 3300
768MB DDR3200 RAM(1x256 Samsung 1x512 crucial)
100GB SATA
Nvidia GEFORCE
Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back