Broken floppy drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrprimo55

Im having this strange thing happen with my floppy drive and it still works just fine, but Im wondering if maybe its on its way out. So I copy a file or two over to a floppy and then when it's done I take the floppy out. When I go to shut down my computer, even if I do this many hours later, before the computer shuts down, the floppy drive starts to make this god-awful noise. It sounds like its trying to read something in there, even though theres nothing in the drive, and its keeps making the noise for 20 to 30 seconds. Its as if it thinks theres still something there and its trying to read it or something. Why is this happening? Is my drive getting ready to die? If it isnt that, then what can I do to stop this from happening? Everytime it happens it sounds like its about to combust, but it eventually stops and shuts down just fine, and the next time I go to use it, it runs like new. Any help would be appreciated.

It may be your antivirus software checking the floppy. It shouldn't take that long though. Try disabling your antivirus and see if it still happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back