Broken partition table?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently (once again) installing Debian GNU/Linux on my system, and while i was in a hurry I accidentally deleted one about 25GB partition (can't remeber the exact size), and wrote the partition table. After writing it I realized what I had done, so i didn't write a new filesystem. So, basically the filesystem+data is still there, only the partition table is damaged, any advice?

--
geel
geel@!REMOVETHIS!c64.bz

This post was edited for bad language. Please don't use bad language here again. This is your first and last warning.

Well, for a start you could being with not using profanity on the forums.

I think your only real option is to use a partition recovery util like Lost and Found.

it's commercial software. gotta get it somewhere :p (didn't know "bad" language isn't allowed here :p)

--
geel

again genius, watch your language.

Yes, bad language is forbidden. We shall forgive you, since you obviously didn't know.

I am not condoning piracy, however I think will find lost and found on kazaa.

Yes I would give PM a try, I think it has just about every option in it that deals with formatting, partitioning, and anything that goes with it including tables.

I've never heard before that Lost and Found didn't do that - that's a shame if it doesn't. That means its a waste of time. I am sure there will be some similar product that does.

Yeah baby! Smashing! That program did it, I made a dos bootdisk and used the program with great success, thank you a *L O T*, you totally saved my day (and ~25Gigabytes of mp3s) :D Thank you thank you thank you :)

--
geel

JackieChanIsGOD said:
Partition Magic may help too...
It's magical!

Magical? Maybe yours is, but if mine is magical, it's the bad magic :evil: , the kind where it pretends to be a working program. I stupidly quick-formatted my 128MB USB-connected generic mp3 player/voice recorder/hard drive in FAT32, & now it plays nothing. Someone suggested that it was originally formatted in FAT16, and the OS is intact, but unable to function (there are still hidden files).

I tried Partition Magic 8 to reformat. PM only sees the main hard drive on the computer. I even tried removing the program, then reinstalling it on the USB, then checking the registry, correcting any reference to its former home on C. No good, its still blind (just where does it think it is, anyway?). Winxp pro can find the player, and lists it as drive G. PTEDIT32 (part of partition magic) sees it (Drive 2), but when I try to use PM, I'm back with only Drive 1 as a choice.

No, this is bad and frustrating magic. :suspicious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back