Bsafe filter problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawolfe02

Hello everyone,

I recently installed the bsafe filter from bsafehome.com and once installed, was unable to connect to the internet. I uninstalled, and internet connection was fine again. I talked with their tech support who suggested a firewall was blocking it. I turned off my sygate firewall, and made sure the windows firewall was off. No luck.

Next tech support suggested it could be a spyware remover program trying to remove part of the filter (thinking it is spyware). So I uninstalled Ad-aware. No luck. Tech support seems a little stumped, so now I am coming to you all for help.

I am not overly computer savvy, so hopefully I am in the right forum and following all of your rules and everything. I do have Hijackthis on my computer from a problem I had in the past, so here is the log that I got while the filter was installed. Let me know if more information or action is needed on my part before you can help. Thanks alot!

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    9.1 KB · Views: 5
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your version of HJT is out of date. Go and read this thread HERE, then post a fresh, uptodate HJT log into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Download and run LSPFix from http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use these instructions to remove the bad DLL:
1. Run LSPFix.
2. Check 'I know what I'm doing'.
3. Select inetcntrl0002.dll.
4. Click the right-pointing arrow (moves it to the "remove" page).
5. Click 'Finished'.

6. Restart your computer in "Safe Mode" (F5 or F8 when starting Windows).
7. Delete the file: inetcntrl0002.dll. Do NOT delete ANY other files!
8. Restart your computer and bring it up in normal mode.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programme in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Win Comm
Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager
X3watch
AWS\weatherbug
Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

Weather.exe
x3watch.exe
WinComm.exe
ViewMgr.exe
WinLock.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

O1 - Hosts: 12.129.205.209 search.netscape.com12.129.205.209 sitefinder.verisign.com

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {ACB1E670-3217-45C4-A021-6B829A8A27CB} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Win Comm] C:\Program Files\Win Comm\WinComm.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [x3watch] C:\Program Files\X3watch\x3watch.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe 1

O8 - Extra context menu item: Blubster Support - file://C:\Program Files\BlubsterSupport\System\Temp\blubstershop_script0.htm

O9 - Extra button: 50 FREE MP3s! - {686C970F-1D7D-4469-85D1-4B35763B56CC} - http://www.emusic.com?fref=149133 (file missing)

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei/SmileyCentralInitialSetup 1.0.0.8.cab

O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} (SysData Class) - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqna/downloads/sysinfo.cab

O16 - DPF: {9DBAFCCF-592F-FFFF-FFFF-00608CEC297C} - http://download.weatherbug.com/minibug/tricklers/AWS/minibuginstaller.cab?rand=2 0033417

O16 - DPF: {EE5CA45C-BFAC-48E6-BE6C-3C607620FF43} (IMViewerControl Class) - http://companion.logitech.com/companion/logitech/ver1.3.0.2041/bin/imvid.cab

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint
C:\Program Files\Win Comm
C:\Program Files\X3watch
C:\PROGRA~1\AWS

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of dawolfe02 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Howard,

Thanks for takin a look! I have question though. I am sure you know a TON more than I do, but inetcntrl is bsafe's program. Wouldn't getting rid of it make the program not work any more, hence destroying the point of all of this?

Also, the X3watch program is similar to a filter, except it has only a reporting feature, and does not block anything. Will it be necessary to get rid of it also or can I keep it and make the bsafe thing work?

Thanks again, I am so thankful that there are people out there willing to share their knowledge!

Dave

The inetcntrl0002.dll file needs fixing because of this entry in your HJT log.

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'inetcntrl0002.dll' missing

You should NOT fix the above entry with HJT, hence the need to run the LSPfix. In fact, the above entry maybe the source of your Bsafe problem.

The X3watch program according to my information, is not to be trusted. However, if you wish to keep it, that`s up to you.

The main source of infection on your system is caused by the Win comm programme. This programme contains the Agobot worm and needs to be got rid of.

Hope this helps.

Well, I followed your instructions, and still cannot connect while the program is installed. I should note that I did what you said except for removing the X3watch at first, and had no luck. So I then followed your instructions about X3, and still had no luck. I am not sure if my doing things out of order could be the source of me still having a problem. Let me know what you think.

Did you run the LSP fix? if not, you should do so.

Have HJT fix these two entries.

O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll (file missing)

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'inetcntrl0002.dll' missing

Other than the above, your HJT log is now clean.

If you`re still having problems with Bsafe, try uninstalling and reinstalling the programme. If that doesn`t help, check for any updates from the manufacturers website. If that still doesn`t work, then maybe you should try an alternative programme.

This thread is for the use of dawolfe02 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hey Howard,
I talked with the tech support guys again last night and they had me download a version of the software without the firewall (since I was not purchasing the software for the firewall anyway). Once I installed that version everything seemed to work just fine.

Thanks a lot for all the help. Even though I didn't get it fixed with the full version of software I still cleaned some crap off of my computer with your help, so that is good! And I think I will go ahead and get rid of that moneyside button while I'm at it also.

I will definitely remember how helpful this board was for me if I have any problems in the future. Keep up the good work. Thanks again

Dave

Alright, so since I installed this bsafe software (which works great for filtering by the way), I have noticed that itunes seems to run rather slow and has some issues with playback.

I am not talking about browsing the store or purchasing music, I have not done any of that.

What happens is that when I play a song, at around 9 seconds into the song, the song kind of slows down, distorts, skips, then around 12 seconds or so it goes back to normal. I have realized that the 9 second mark is where the artist name at the top of the itunes window "rolls over" to show the album name.

The player also does similar combinations of slowing down, distortion, and skipping when doing other things on the computer that require any decent amount of computer usage (loading large websites, etc.).

So I viewed the task manager to see what was up with the computer usage and found that itunes, when slowing down, shoots up as high as 70-80% at times.

Now, if this was caused by the bsafe filter, I would have assumed that inetcntrl (bsafe) would be shooting up in usage at these times too, but it pretty constantly shows 0% and I have never seen it above 2%.

I don't really know where to go from here. I am told Itunes is not the best written program out there, but I have an Ipod and sort of need it.

Any suggestions? I will post a HJT log also.

And I noticed in the HJT log that I still have that "broken internet access...", but my internet is working fine, and I am kinda afraid to mess with it since I had so many issues getting it to work in the first place. Thanks for any help!

The only problem in your HJT log is this.

Use the Lspfix programme to fix it, but don`t delete the file.

If you still have problems after this, I suggest you get rid of the Bsafe programme and look for an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back