BSOD After Removing Trojans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my friend had norton say it found some trojans after he accidently downloaded a virus. it said it needed to reboot to remove the trojans. he did so and he started getting 0x100008e bsod. safemode worked but then we tried to boot windows again and it started again. finally i had him choose "most recent configuration that worked" which got rid of the bsod

so now the antivirus found some trojans again (probably from the most recent configuration option, i assume it restores drivers, etc) and now i am afraid to have him reboot it cause he lives far away and i am finally on remote desktop.

so i checked the minidumps and the first one faults eectrl.sys which i think is for symtantec that makes sense but then the next 4 are all smwdm.sys which is sound card related. so i checked and there were no viruses under smwdm.sys and they all look fine (correct directories, dates/times)

so i am thinking i am safe to reboot but like i said that could be an issue if it starts bsod again and we cant get it back. cause i am helping him 100% remotely.

i attached 4 of the 5 minidumps (to fit) i attached the first one faulting eectrl.sys and 3 of the 4 faulting smwdm.sys. thanks.

thanks

cpc2004 said:
From your minidump, I beleive that your versio of Norton AV is at version 10.0.1 and it has known software problem. The time stamp of SYMEVENT.SYS is at Sat Apr 30 03:00:28 2005 (4272844C).

Upgrade Norton AV may resolve the blue screen problem.

Refer the following web page relating to your version of Norton AV
http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=en&q=4272844C&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=-1&oq=

thanks very much for your help, he is running ver 10 of symantec corporate. i will change it to avg right away.

also, how were you able to see that info on the symantec in the dumps? i am aable to see only limited info from the debug tool. also do you know where i can read how to do stuff in debug tool? like more than see what is causing the error, like you were able to see that misc info that doesnt come up normally.

thanks

If you want to know more about windbg, you have to resolve the blue screen problems reporting at this forum. At the beginnig, I know nothing about windows debugging and I am still at the learning stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back