BSOD and possible hardware issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

My problem is slightly different in that I have a fair idea what started the problem but don't really know what to do next!

I decided to put my pc into a new case and moved the PSU over, then the mother board with the COU , fan and memory all still attached. HOWEVER I stupidly decided to use all of the little brass posts when i was putting the motherboard in the new case and (I believe) shorted the mobo etc.

I bought a new HDD as that was totally wrecked and re-installed WinXP etc. The system runs ok for a while but then BSODs.

SO I know why it started doing this (because I am an ***** :unch: ) but I do not know what to do about it.

It has BSOD'd 40 times in the past week and has given a variety of reasons including, most commonly, IRQ greater than or equal and page Fault in Non paged area.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

D

Check the mobo (motherboard) out for any damaged components. In particular, check out all the can shaped capacitors for doming on the top or any leakage, both will indicate a blown cap that means it will need replacing.

There are a lot more tests to go through but it will all depend on how deep you wish to delve into fault finding. If you need more help then just ask, i fix pc's on a very regular basis (got 3 fixed pc's and a fixed laptop behind me at the mo) and am willing to help you as much as you need.

Debz007 said:
It has BSOD'd 40 times in the past week and has given a variety of reasons including,

D

Any chance you can post the minidumps from the BSOD's we can use these to analyze the problem..

I can post the minidumps but I am not sure how exactly - do I zip them all up or do you want one or two? I have read in other threads that people have changed the suffix - do you want me to do that?

Deb

I have checked the mobo and it all looks ok - i know that the caps have a little cross at the top which is where the bulge will be but I can't see any problems. I will keep looking for anything like that though.

I can do basic stuff but don't want to go too involved - eg I can change a psu but I wouldn't want to try repairing one - that sort of thing.

Any and all advice is greatfully received.

thanks to both of you

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back