BSOD caused by win32k.sys - confused about RAM problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickc284

Hi, I've been getting BSODs every so often on my pc ever since I built it, but they have always been completely sporadic. Sometimes I wouldn't get any BSODs for a week or more, then I might have five in one day. The most recent one says the cause is probably win32k.sys after runng WinDbg. After Googling win32k.sys, I found that some other people found the solution to be a new stick of RAM, despite passing memtest.

So far I've only run my two Corsair ValueSelect sticks (512mb) together. After 10 passes, it had no errors. I will run each stick seperately tonight (meanwhile: the minidump is attached).

I am using:

WinXP Pro SP2
P4 3.0C H/T enabled (33C Idle, 46C Load)
1GB (2x512) dual channel enabled DIMMs 1 & 3
Abit IS-7 socket 478
eVGA FX5500 256mb
Audigy 2ZS Platinum
Western Digital 80GB SATA150
Rosewill RV450
Samsung CD-RW/DVD
NEC DVD+-RW

Attachments

• Mini042206-01.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 8
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It`s impossible to be sure of the culprit, from just one minidump.

Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together and attach them here.

Your minidump crashes at win32k.sys and has a bugcheck of 50.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Memtest is a good programme. However, it is not perfect and some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

It`s impossible to be sure of the culprit, from just one minidump.

Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together and attach them here.

Oh ok. I guess I'll have to wait until I get a few more. At this point I only have one in my minidump folder...not sure why.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Yeah, I've been working from that thread the past couple days. We'll see what happens as my work continues. :)

Testing with one stick in DIMM 3 had no errors after 9 passes. I only have to test the other stick by itself now.

Right click my computer and select properties. Click on the advanced tab. Under startup and recovery, click settings.

In the write debugging information box, set the memory dump complete memory dump. Uncheck the box that says overwrite any existing file. Change the memory dump back to small memory dump (64KB). Click apply/ok.

Regards Howard :)

In the write debugging information box, set the memory dump complete memory dump. Uncheck the box that says overwrite any existing file. Change the memory dump back to small memory dump (64KB). Click apply/ok.

Haha. I can't believe I didn't notice that. Wow.

I checked the other stick of RAM, no errors on that one either after 9 passes. I used an eraser to clean off the fingers on each stick of RAM. We'll see what happens. If I get any more errors over the next few days, I'll post those minidumps. Until then I remain in computer support limbo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back