BSOD error - anyone able to help with minidumps please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just built a new system so not 100% sure what the problem is, I think probably hardware but not sure. Any advice from enclosed minidumps?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

4 of your minidumps crash with a bugcheck of 9C. Unfortunately, this means you have some kind of hardware failure.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Test you ram using the Memtest programme. You can get it HERE.

You should also disconnect anything not required to run your system. Clean out any dust and debris from inside the case/fans/heatsink etc.

Make sure nothing is overclocked and check your system temperatures.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

We need more information, can you please post your system specs, mobo, cpu, video card, how much ram, PSU (watts and amps on 12 and 5v outputs).

Also read my post BSODs and the other sticky about BSOD basics by DonN.
Finally most likely a mod will move your minidump to the Windows OS forum where it's suppose to be posted. This is a TS rule so those here that read them don't have to hunt all over to find them.

Cheers and welcome to TS. :wave:

I have the following specs :-
Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
ASUS Extreme N6600LE Silencer/TD/256MB
RAM 2x512 dual channel
Power - Thermaltake 430W 5V - 30A 12V - 18A
I also have 4 250gig hard drives and a pioneer dvd burner.
I have tried removing all but one of the hard drive but get the same problem.
I used to have all four hard drives raided together and another HDD with OS on and it seemed to work fine.
Now I have it setup with them as indiviadual HDD's and it is giving me problems.
Can just be trying to open a program or might be halfway through something (copying from a disc to hdd etc) and it will just restart.
I haven't overclocked anything as far as I am aware.
I will test ram ect later tongiht when I get back from work, checked temps with speedfan got 18, 24 and -48. I think 24 is CPU as when I upped load this increased.

Well when I do your specs with Extreme PSU calculator I get 390Watts with 4 HDD (SATA) and 350Watts with 1 SATA HDD. (now that's CPU at 100%, so assumed having load like gaming or DVD Ripping and burning).
Even though the Thermaltake is a nice unit, at 430W it's running pretty much at 90% maximum power with 4HDD's in and 81% with only 1 HDD in.
It seems to me you might have overworked the unit with the 4 HDD in and now it's just a matter of time before she completely gives up. Also I'm a little concerned with the 18Amps on the 12V rail, that is really light for your rig. If you ever wanted to upgrade the 6600 to a 7800GT or higher forget about it with that PSU. My rig is an Athlon 64 3500+ with the MSI 6600GT, 1 HDD 10,000RPM SATA and DVD R/W and I blew up a 450W (12V@22A) generic cheapy in the first week I had it running. The AMD64's like power, they use near 100Watts alone, so at 12V that's 8.3Amps. Your Dual core will demand even more. i.e not much left over from the 18Amps to run the rest of the system.

For $40-50US can you get a 500W unit with 2X12V rails, each at 18Amps. Enermax makes some good models like that.

Well that's my theory, other's here might find something really specific in your minidump or you might expose a RAM problem with memtest.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back