BSOD-Event Vwr points to SCM & USB SECURITY DEVICE service failed to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Now this is getting very annoying. Apparently this problem has been going on for a long time (Since 05/23/05) but so infrequently that I haven't realized it. And no, I don't remember what I might have down then to start this problem.

Now I'm getting the BSOD at least once a day. The last time I wrote down the text and it listed the following "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

When I look into the event view the error lists the source as the Service Control Manager. The detailed description states:

"The USB SECURITY DEVICE service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

I have no idea what might have started this but I do know that it suddenly got much worse after I replaced my power supply. (The Fan Died and I shut down gracefully as soon as I got the first wiff or burnt electronics.) All has worked fine since then except for the increased Frequency of this BSOD.

I'll add my full system specs as soon as I get them from the everest pgm I just downloaded.

Hi GScooter,

I've investigate your minidumps and it is faulty ram. You can run memtest to stress the ram. If memtest reports the ram is faulty, ram is bad. However Memtest is not a perfect tool to test the memory as some faulty can pass memtest.

Suggestion
1. Reseat the memory stick to another memory slot
2. Downclock the ram
3. Clean the inside the computer case
4. Make sure that the ram is compatible to the motherboard
If it still crashes, diagnostic which memory stick is faulty
1. Take out one memory stick. If windows does not crash, the removed memory stick is faulty.
2. If you have only one memory stick, replace the ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back