BSOD every 20 min when in game

Status
Not open for further replies.

dab45

This problem started after turned off the system from the power switch in the back, I was in an unexpected rush.... I started up the system and got a boot error saying "something about the CPU being changed", never did that..... after 2 failed startups the bios finally let me choose last known good configuration, and after that it worked. However, when playing Garry's Mod "a half life 2 mod" 20 min into the game my computer would suddenly BSOD and shut down. The error message left a BC code error, and researching I found that it had to do with the bios, so I updated it to the latest, and still get crashes, however the error code info changed, same when I updated Chipset drivers.... ive run Memtest86+ and ram tested ok. Idk if im getting closer to the fix or making it worse, but ill provide the info below and the dmp files, hopefully someone can solve this annoyance.
This is the BC error info:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: 898A5858
BCP2: 00000001
BCP3: 825DC737
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020508-04.dmp
C:\Users\Drew\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-52728-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Drew\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREE63.tmp.version.txt

The DMP files are too large to post so ill put them in a zip file.

Attachments

• Mini020508-04.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 5
Just Crashed out of Game

playing game doesnt matter.... heres the new info as well as the minidump

Problem signature:

BCCode: a
BCP1: 00000008
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 82798E6E

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020608-01.dmp
C:\Users\Drew\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-56924-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Drew\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1267.tmp.version.txt

Attachments

• Mini020608-01.zip
    18 KB · Views: 7
3 of your dumps were 0x8E errors KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

You've already done the chipset and BIOS upgrade. The driver particularly cited was nvlddmkm.sys which is an Nvidia display driver and if you will google this you will read how this does not do well with Vista. Many people are having issues with this combination.

I would go over to the Nvidia forums and see if there is a driver update or other work arounds.

Your best bet will be to update your drivers like Route44 said.
I reccomend trying it through windows update.
Select the custom option when it asks what updates to install.
Then on the left select the Other or Software link, can't remember which one it is.
That way you can install all the driver updates at once.
BUT
In the rare occasion updating your driver doesnt fix it, downgrade to lower than what you previously had. Sometimes developers relese drivers that cause errors. It has happened with a couple of the most recent ATI drivers for X1650Pro's.
Hope this helps,
Rio

Still crashing.....

I updated my nvidia drivers from their web site and restarted my computer, but 30 min into a game i got the blue screen, i wish that had fixed it, heres the new info mabye it will reveal whats really wrong...

Problem signature:

BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C000001D
BCP2: 8246C244
BCP3: 9A118B24
BCP4: 00000000

And heres the minidump!

wtf.....

i did a search for nvlddmkm.sys and found about 15 of the same file, all in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_disp.inf_49328c12
now im not sure if this is normal but there all there, just modified on different dates, should i delete some of these??
mabye its crashing from confusion?

When you installed updated graphics drivers, did you uninstall the old graphics driver first?

no

whats the best way to uninstall it, should i use device manager and uninstall it from there, or something else?

bad news.....

i clean installed my graphics drivers and everything, i still crashed.
heres the driver version 169.25_forceware_winvista_32bit_english_whql ---- thats the name of the execute. Also heres the stop code i managed to get from the blue screen:
Stop: 0x0000000A (0x00000009, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x82798E6E)

heres the usual crash dump and info:

BCP1: 00000009
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 82798E6E

Minidump file

Ah, finally something different and I believe we are now getting somewhere but when we'll get a definitive answer I can't say.

Your dump has the probable cause as dxgkrnl.sys which is a DX kernel and if you google it you'll see many people having the same BSOD with this kernel, with the 8800 vid cards, and Vista. It looks like its a DX10 issue as well.

From what I have been reading there still isn't a good work around though the following seems like the best, but I can't say for sure. Read thoroughly:

http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic11550-9-1.aspx

Maybe you need to go to the Visat forums to see if there is newer info; the above link was posted in late December 2007.

dab45 said:
whats the best way to uninstall it, should i use device manager and uninstall it from there, or something else?
Uninstall the graphics driver from Add and Remove Programs. If you try to uninstall it in the Device Manager, it doesn't actually get rid of the driver, it only disconnects it from the device. When Windows reboots, it will just get reinstalled automatically again.

Well, i'm sure anyone can tell you the obvious answer.
Do you have a copy of Windows XP? You could just format onto XP. Or if you have a second hard drive around, just put that in and format that with XP. They only use it as the operating system and access your files on the Vista HDD through the XP HDD.

That is a common problem with alot of these companies. They are so keen to get their new product out on the market that they sometimes don't do enough beta testing or do a beta release.
Because of the recent addition of this product to the market there are very few drivers available (i haven't done any research) but it shouldn't be long before either a member of the public or the people from GeForce release an update.

Hope this helps,
Rio.

direct x

I've run through that forum that you linked and did what they suggested, including chkdsk c: /f , but when i went to update my directx it said i have the latest. Now ive tried for hours but i cant figure out how to repair or reinstall dx 10, if you can point in the right direction that would be great. In the mean time im gonna test my comp by playing a game for awhile :D .

dab45, honestly I never had to repair or reinstall DX anything so I can't help you but I'll certainly look forward to hearing if you can play games or not. keep us updated.

better update

i found an update that seems to have the fixes i need, but when i download it, it says it doesnt apply to my system, even though im on the requirements list. But anyway ill post the link to it, i was hoping there was a similar update that would do the same thing but work for my system?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194

nvrmd......

it didnt crash last night when i did the fix, but today after an hour or so it crashed.
The crashes take longer now but still accur.
this is what i got out of it:
0x0000000A (0x6A4B6170, 0x0000001B, 0x0000000, 0x824676B8)

BCP1: 6A4B6170
BCP2: 0000001B
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 824676B8

And the minidump

Did you install Blue Coat's K9 web protection software? The reason I ask is because your error is an 0x0aAand these, as per auhma.org's troubleshooting of Window's errors Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Something is trying to access an IRQ address that has no business doing so.

I used to get these all the time with Sunbelt's FFirewall regardless of the version and one driver in particular was the culprit.

Though it wasn't cited as the probable cause the process driver k9filter.exe was singled out in the analysis.

Perhaps you should disable this software and see what happens.

hmmm.... u may be on to somtin

it just so happens i have k9, and all the games im crashing in are "online" games, i just crashed in WoW too.....
im gonna remove it and see what happens, thanx

ok.......

i deleted the software and i haven't crashed for several hours, however i just crashed so im just gonna back into my corner, sit and start rocking now.......
heres what ive got out of it:

BCP1: 89668ED4
BCP2: 0000001B
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 8246C51B

Three of your minidumps state a 0x76 error:
Bug Check 0x76 PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES
This indicates that a driver failed to release locked pages after an I/O operation.

All three also say memory corruption. Did you ever run a memtest? I forget.

The fourth minidump says 0x24 error NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

From auhma.org on this error -

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

The fifth is 0xA Something is trying to access a IRQ address is has no right to.

I find it interesting that I/O has should up as a possibility.

Hey,

Would you be able to provide us with your IRQ specifications?
Or, if you prefer, just check that no devices are on the same IRQ. Although ACPI may be enabled sometimes there are some errors. Same thing happened to me on XP. It's a pain.

Cheers,
Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back