BSOD GSOD (Blue/Green Screen of Death)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
This is my first post. This looks like an interesting place and I hope to learn alot.

I have Windows XP, Dell Laptop, Service Pack II. I use to get Green Screen Crashes. A friend of mine told me to check the event viewer which I did. It seemed to happen around the time of automatic updates. So I disabled all the updates. I havent had a green crash in about a year.

But I recently had a Blue Screen of death. Since it happened while logging out I didnt pay attention. But I just had another BSOD while logged on.

The computer described the information as follows:
Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 85ec373f, parameter3 f79d6abc, parameter4 f79d67b8.

I looked up the error in event viewer as my friends had told me to do and obtained the following further info:

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 85EC373F BCP3 : F79D6ABC
BCP4 : F79D67B8 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

At this point my computer is working fine again (I turned it off and on) but I get nervous when there are BSOD (The first good thing I did is back everything up!).

Another techy friend told me the problem was probably with drivers. So at this point
a) Can anyone help me diagnose the cause of this crash (Is there a place to look up these codes on the web?)
b) If the problem is drivers how do I go about replacing drivers for a Dell Laptop (I am out warrantee and have never done this before)
c) As long as I am asking about my Blue Crashes can anyone suggest anything about the Green crashes....I would prefer to keep my automatic updates on.

Finally: I have norton antivirus and my computer seems to be doing OK virus wise

Look forward to replies
CanYouHelp

We need your minidumps to help so when you post back attach them.

How to find your minidumps:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files. It is these files that we need you to attach to your next posting, NOT the whole folder.

Below your reply screen is the Additional Options screen. Notice the Manage Attachment button.

0x7e errors can be caused by many things: hardware incompatibility, software incompatibility, and device drivers to name a few. Minidumps will help us to zero in further.

He won't be able to attach minidumps yet because he doesn't have enough posts. So until he gets enough posts it may be worth having him check his event viewer for errors.

Honestly windows need to get the update thing right, their automatic updates have made my brand new laptop unbootable several times already.

MINIDUMP of my BSOD (Response to Route44)

ROUTE44

Thanks for your clear directions. My minidump is attached. The stop code and the 4 parameters were given in theoriginal email.

Look forward to your help.

Thanks to
* Kimsland for advice on the drivers
* ph30nIX for empathy on windows updates:)))
* sngx1275 for warning me about the minidumps (But read route44's posting who told me how to do it)

CanYouHelp

Inside the one MiniDump:
--------------
BugCheck 1000007E, {c0000005, 85ec373f, f79d6abc, f79d67b8}
Probably caused by : USBSTOR.SYS ( USBSTOR!USBSTOR_FdoRemoveDevice+ac )
Followup: MachineOwner
--------------

You may want to re-confirm those USB drivers again, including any USB device attached to your system (ie printer so forth)

KINSLAND
Thanks for the try. I do have 3 usb ports on my machine. But I do not have a USBStor.Sys file anyplace on my machine. So I dont see how that can be causing it. I am relunctant to add a sys file to my machine if it didnt come with it.
Thanks for trying

Anyone else...any other ideas / interpretations
CanYouHelp

KINSLAND
I was a bit hasty. I had only looked in c:\windows\system32. But I looked again. I found the USBStor.sys in C:\i386. The file was last accessed Jan 11 2007. There are also backups in cab files. For example in C:\i386\sp2cab\. There are also backups in various files. There are also copies c:\windows\system32\drivers There are some more in c:\windows\driver cache\i386\sp2.cab.

What do you suggest I do: Seek a new copy on the Dell site you mentioned: Or should I try extracting from the cabs on my machine?

Your help and advice is appreciated.
CanYouHelp

I did provide a link to the USB file above already (just in case)
But normally it's not a matter of changing it (although it can be the case sometimes)
I believe your best option is to do as mentioned, update your USB drivers.

You can find these drivers installed in:
Start-->Control Panel-->System-->Hardware-->Device Manager
Firstly expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers" then right click on each device and select update driver.
You should look on your drivers web page for any USB updates (or patches) as well.

Next, if you have any USB devices plugged into your computer, confirm those drivers are updated as well.

Lastly, you may wish to check in CMOS
Restart your computer, and press the appropriate key (DEL or F2) you should see a prompt for this.
Once in CMOS confirmed USB2 enabled (or set to Automatic) Note: each machine is different to the next, so check all settings are correct in there. (You may need to refer to your manual, for anything unknown)

Once you have done all that, then run as per normal. If you receive another restart, post the minidump again, and depending on the error, we may replace the file!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back